Corn leaves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tignish99

5 Year Member
It is corn season here so we have been purchasing a lot of ears of corn. I am wondering if my little Russian is allowed to eat the corn leaves and the silk. I know the kernels are not good for her, but I am thinking the leaves and silk may have fiber.

Any thoughts?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I would think not so much and the reason is because that silk is really tough to break down---it may prove to be harmful trying to work its way through their intestines....kinda like string accidentally being ingested...

Although a few cooked corn kernels would likely be devoured as a treat...

tignish99

5 Year Member
ascott said:
I would think not so much and the reason is because that silk is really tough to break down---it may prove to be harmful trying to work its way through their intestines....kinda like string accidentally being ingested...

Although a few cooked corn kernels would likely be devoured as a treat...

Thank you. So no silk. Do you think the leaves would be ok?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I occasionally buy corn for my Aldabran and Manouria tortoises. I peel it open, leaving the leaves attached (silk and all), and wash it a bit under the faucet, then I toss them into the pen. They eat everything. Even the husks.

I doubt a Russian would be able to eat all that, but I don't think the leaves are harmful. Corn is in the grass family, and grass is edible.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
As the tortoise table site says, Maize/corn is safe to feed. However, keep in mind that maize crops are some of the most heavily fertilized and pesticide-treated crops our nation grows... so be VERY careful about the source. If it's from a farm that treats, then I would say that it is not safe. If it is from an organic source, it probably is.
I have to admit that with collards and such that I buy during the winter I don't bother to get it organic... but with as highly treated maize crops are... I would definitely avoid anything that might have been treated.

Status
Not open for further replies.