Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I have discovered an alarming new trend that is sweeping across all the big chain stores in America. I find it disgusting, coercive and alarming. I will NOT participate in it!!! This has happened to me at OSH, Walmart and tonight at Best Buy. I will not frequent these businesses anymore until they change this policy, which I do not think is likely to happen.

Here is the scam: Its seems that in the fine print that you can not even read on the back of your receipt this new policy is printed. If you wish to return an item, even with the receipt, you must surrender your ID so they can scan your personal info into their computer. Each time the clerk has asked me for ID. I gladly hand over my DL so they can verify that its me returning something and that the name on the DL, credit card and receipt all match. As I hand it over they immediately turn it around to run the magnetic strip thought their computer like a credit card. A sharp "STOP!" has prevented my personal info from being disseminated, but then I have to argue with that dumbfounded employee and then the manager and then the corporate offices. At Walmart, the manger let me complete my return with out swiping my DL. At OSH, corporate will not even return my calls. Best Buy's GM will be getting a call from me tomorrow. I'll let you know how that goes.

THIS IS TOTAL BS!!! They have no right to force me to risk my personal info getting out in order to simply return an unwanted item with a receipt, ID and the original credit card that was used in the purchase. They don't need it and its wrong for them to even ask for it, much less demand it. They say that it is so they can track returns. BS!!! They already have my name. Its on the receipt for fudge sake! There have been times where I lost a receipt and they were able to find then entire transaction and give a refund just by running my CC through their system. I don't mind them having my CC info. Its a necessary evil AND I can dispute any fraudulent charges and let my all powerful credit card company DICTATE to the company in question how things are going to be, instead of these businesses dictating to ME how its going to be.

I am INCENSED about this! I do NOT want MY personal info floating around in the "secure" databases of these companies where any employee or teenager with a lap top can gain access to it. They claim they won't use the info for anything other than tracking returns, but we all know that we will start getting junk mail and they will sell your info to telemarketers and stuff too. This is abuse of the system and BAD customer service. If we all stop frequenting these businesses and start frequenting their competitors who do NOT have these invasive policies, it will stop , and stop fast! We must let them know why sales are down and dropping too. In other words, tell them, "If you want me to spend my money with you, then mind your own business and stay out of mine!!!"

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
I'm glad it's not just me. I use a Mechant Mariner's ID I have left over from pre-magnetic strip days. They're always at a loss,but that's all they ever get from me if they want an ID.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I just don't return anything.

FranklinTturtle

5 Year Member
Myrtle Beach SC
Tom I am afraid that you are fighting a losing battle. I think that every thing personal about us has already been sold from every place that we frequent. But I aplaud your decision. I want you to know that I think it is wrong that all business sale information.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Oh my, this has never happened to me. I recently returned something to target and they did not ask for my ID at all. They just asked for the debit card that the item was originally purchased on and I swiped it and the money was credited to my account. I will definitely tell them in advance that they can look and not touch my DL!!!!

I cannot even believe, with identity theft what it is today, that any store would want to assume the liability of storing that info.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
I have never heard of this either, but thanks for the heads up. I'm leary just handing them my credit card when making a return.

jbean7916

5 Year Member
The reason they do this is to track returns. There are people out there that will steal items, "return" them and get a store gift card. It happens more than you would think. By capturing the ID info of those returning they can see if a pattern develops with someone. This actually helps them keep prices down. It isn't great but it's all they can do to try and combat this.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
jbean7916 said:
The reason they do this is to track returns. There are people out there that will steal items, "return" them and get a store gift card. It happens more than you would think. By capturing the ID info of those returning they can see if a pattern develops with someone. This actually helps them keep prices down. It isn't great but it's all they can do to try and combat this.

This is closer to understandable for some one returning an item without a receipt. But my receipt already has their store bar code, my credit card info and my name on it. If they can't track it with all that info then my DL won't help them either. That's sort of my point. They just don't NEED my DL info. So why do they want it?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I'm behind you all the way on this one! I haven't had this experience yet, but will gladly object to my DL being scanned upon returning a product.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Only solution I can see is to make darned sure you're buying the item you want, so you don't have to return it.

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
That is crap I don't see why they would do something like that so low.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Anti-shrink measure is one dimension, as stated. The major thing I happen to be aware of, and I have worked with a Walmart executive on this, is that information management allows them to better tailor offers to audience based on interest, usage, and satisfaction. Not so much to simply give you offers, but match items to their proper audience. That way, they are more profitable as well as more efficient while the customers are better served and more specifically so. The more information that can be gathered, the more interrelationship can be discerned and the more effective a given campaign will be for all parties.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
thanks for the heads-up Tom. I also do not want nor need my DL info scanned into the store system computer ...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Tom...we are all tracked...always...from when we use our atm cards/credit cards you have already been tossed into "the system"...so you may as well give em your license....I know I know, we all have our moments of defiance in accepting what is...Tom...everytime you walk into the big retail stores you are on camera...everytime you drive down public roadways you are on camera....public buildings, private buildings--cameras....hell, they even have folks listening in on phone lines "listening for terrorist threats"....so some may laugh and say I am nuts, paranoid....but I am ok with that....I know what I know...so actually Tom..don't give em your license...give em hell LOL:p

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Question actually a clarification, your driver's license is scan able?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Baoh said:
Anti-shrink measure is one dimension, as stated. The major thing I happen to be aware of, and I have worked with a Walmart executive on this, is that information management allows them to better tailor offers to audience based on interest, usage, and satisfaction. Not so much to simply give you offers, but match items to their proper audience. That way, they are more profitable as well as more efficient while the customers are better served and more specifically so. The more information that can be gathered, the more interrelationship can be discerned and the more effective a given campaign will be for all parties.

It is my suspicion that this is what they are doing. You are the first person with first hand experience to confirm it. I do not wish to be a part of it. This is why I don't do the grocery store gimmick cards or anything like that. I like my privacy and I like NOT being the victim of any kind of fraud. The less my info is "out there", the less likely I am to become another victim.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I am not especially worried about it, as it is meant to benefit both parties. I have a greater risk of becoming a victim of fraud by giving my card to a server to pay my bill or any number of other interfaces than by allowing my shopping experience to be optimized by a Big Box aggregation program. I have never had a problem despite handling quite a few cards and accounts of my own, a corporate account at two of the major corporations I have worked for, and traveling the world. To each his own.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can always deface the magnetic strip on your driver's license. Or you can tell the clerk at Wal-Mart that you don't have a driver's license, you came by taxi.

Status
Not open for further replies.