Corporate Conspiracy? (Rant...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamburg,AR
When they look at my Merchant Marine license and ask for a drivers license,that's what I say,"everybody doesn't drive".

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
emysemys said:
You can always deface the magnetic strip on your driver's license. Or you can tell the clerk at Wal-Mart that you don't have a driver's license, you came by taxi.

Ooooh... I like this second one, Yvonne. Outsmart the system... Beat "The Man"...

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
emysemys said:
You can always deface the magnetic strip on your driver's license. Or you can tell the clerk at Wal-Mart that you don't have a driver's license, you came by taxi.

You can scramble any magnetic strip by simply running a magnet over it...use this info as you will! :p

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I remember when I was little (probably the early 1970s) being told that someday people would be tracked by numbers and you would not be able to buy groceries without showing a numbe. At first this terrified me, then I desided the person who told me that was a fanatic with crazy ideas. I guess thing are getting crazy. I also hate that SS numbers are over used. I do not like to share that info.
I also do not like the idea of a store running my personal info. I don't care why they want it, it should be your choice to participate in product surveys not something forced.
Schools trying to force vaccinations freaks me out too. And I am not agaist them I just think its personal.

eudora09

5 Year Member
Tucson, Arizona
I don't shop at Walmart for several reasons anymore. First of all is the reason you've already stated with them wanting to run my DL even with my receipt. Second of all I tried to return a book that someone had bought me for my birthday there and I already had it, well the people at guest service told me they couldn't return it because of "copy right" laws. HUH? It's a book how did I copy it? So I took the same book to target because they sell it there (and the person who gave it to me couldn't remember if they bought it at target or walmart and didn't have the receipt anymore) and guess what they took it back no problem. So I only shop at target and never had any of these problems. They return things with a receipt w/o looking at your DL or if you don't have a receipt but have the card they can do a card look up w/o your DL. Target has a lot nicer people in my experience too.

Also I used to work at Walmart and while I was there an employee took someones DL info and credit card info and charged $200 worth of stuff to their card. I don't know exactly how he did it but he did. He got into a lot of trouble once they figured out who did it but still that's a very scary situation to be in for the customer.

Next they'll be wanting us to present our Social Security cards along with our DL to "verify" that we are who we say we are.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Thanks for telling us about this, Tom. Retailers have not asked for my ID yet, but if they do, then I will refuse. I agree with you that this is (yet another) unjust invasion of our privacy. These corporations keep going to new heights to alienate us as citizens.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
What was that old movie with Tom Cruise? The futuristic one.... where as he walks around the bilboards are custom tailored for him.... This day is coming, its already here in the virtual world many of us spend so much time in. Have you all noticed how the add bilboards here on TFO are custom tailored for you based on what "they" know about your browsing habits?

Our society is consumer/sales/technology driven to the extreme. Accept it all, go with the flow, and things are real convenient.

Personally, I believe all this is just a part of the disease that is rapidly killing (de-humanizing) us. Prepare for the "Mark of the Beast". :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The movie is "Minority report"

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Balboa said:
Have you all noticed how the add bilboards here on TFO are custom tailored for you based on what "they" know about your browsing habits?

I was browsing another forum I belong to (non-tortoise related) and ads for tortoises came up. That creeps me out :p

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
ChiKat said:
Balboa said:
Have you all noticed how the add bilboards here on TFO are custom tailored for you based on what "they" know about your browsing habits?

I was browsing another forum I belong to (non-tortoise related) and ads for tortoises came up. That creeps me out :p

I noticed that, too. There must be cookies on my computer that say I like turtles. Kind of creepy, although you could just delete your cache. Of course, then they'd just come back when you visit TFO.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Update:

I went back to the same store and got a different manager this time. I looked him straight in the eye and said, "I don't have a driver's license..." I left out the part about, "... that I'm willing to share with you." I said, "How about a passport?" He stammered and himmed and hawed for a moment then said, "uhh, okay , sure..."

Problem solved.

Your passport does not have your address and no one can use it to open a line of fraudulent credit anyway. I'm still POed about this, but at least I have a way to sort of get around it.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Tom said:
Update:

I went back to the same store and got a different manager this time. I looked him straight in the eye and said, "I don't have a driver's license..." I left out the part about, "... that I'm willing to share with you." I said, "How about a passport?" He stammered and himmed and hawed for a moment then said, "uhh, okay , sure..."

Problem solved.

Your passport does not have your address and no one can use it to open a line of fraudulent credit anyway. I'm still POed about this, but at least I have a way to sort of get around it.

:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.