Correcting past wrongs...

CincyTort26

Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati, OH
Hi Everyone!

I brought home (well, he arrived on my front door via USPS) my little tort last November. I believe he was around 3 months old. As best I can tell he was from a reputable breeder.

Now, in the last month or so I've been realizing there was a lot of info I missed, or wasn't clear on, about raising this guy, and between myself and my roommate who cared for him, he hasn't gotten the best start so far...

So I'm here trying to improve!!

I've read the stickied posts which were full of great info!! I do, however, have some more specific questions...

I'm attaching a picture of his current inclosure. Its a 20gal long tank. I know its not big enough. I'm working on finding/making something bigger for him, but that's where I would love some suggestions. Its started to get cold here, and while I'm pretty handy, between the cold weather and time constraints I would rather purchase a system if there is one that may be sufficient... I've just not been able to find any :/

His substrate is about 50% peatmoss/organic topsoil mix and 50% mulch (I can't remember the type, but it was purchased from the petstore and labeled for torts, snakes, etc)

My previous duel heat/UVB light just died (he had a night heat lamp too) so I replaced both lamps and have a dedicated fluorescent UVB bulb and a ceramic heat emitter. I'm still having trouble maintaining the correct temperature, even for such a small enclosure.
Because I figured part of the reason it wasn't staying warm was because it was a glass tank, I wrapped 3 of the glass sides in aluminum foil for "insulation" (please don't be afraid to tell me that's a stupid idea haha) and the lid (which is a screen top) I have almost completely sealed, also with aluminum foil.
Currently the temp in the middle of the enclosure sits around 75, and he spends most of his time directly under the heat lamp.

He's started pyramiding. This past spring he was mostly in the care of my roommate and, while she did her best, I know she kept his enclosure very very dry (he's a desert tort! she said). I realize the humidity is most likely the problem, and I've started spraying his enclosure with about half a spray bottle of hot water once a day. I've also gone back to soaking him about 3x a week.

I also think he's way too small. Pictures attached. Like I said, he's about a year old :/

Oh, as for his diet, he's been getting grass and some spring mix (because my current roommate loves watching him eat the spring mix haha, she's fascinated by him!) IMG_4005.JPGIMG_4006.JPG IMG_4004.JPG

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Assuming this is a sulcata, 75 degrees is much too cold. The basking spot should be around 100, and the temp should never go below 80. Does your tort have any snot coming out of its nose, or is it bubbling any? Do you hear a clicking sound when it breaths?
It would be a good idea to add to its diet. There are many other things you could feed besides spring mix, such as dandelions, bok choy, endive and escarole, radicchio, mustard greens, and the list goes on and on. You can find more under the diet section :)

CincyTort26

Cincinnati, OH
So he actually appears pretty healthy, if anything is bothering him, I would say its his eyes, I feel like he keeps them closed far more often than he did this summer (when he was outside in 90+ degree temps and high humidity during the day almost every day)

The new ceramic heater now has the tank up to 80, but I'm still having trouble getting a basking temp up... Its such a small enclosure it seems like I shouldn't really need a specific basking lamp for him plus the CHE... I did only get a 60W CHE, because I thought the 100W would be too strong... I guess not... would you suggest returning it and getting a higher wattage? Or is there somethingelse that should be done?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Are you using a spiral-shaped UVB bulb?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
So he actually appears pretty healthy, if anything is bothering him, I would say its his eyes, I feel like he keeps them closed far more often than he did this summer (when he was outside in 90+ degree temps and high humidity during the day almost every day)

The new ceramic heater now has the tank up to 80, but I'm still having trouble getting a basking temp up... Its such a small enclosure it seems like I shouldn't really need a specific basking lamp for him plus the CHE... I did only get a 60W CHE, because I thought the 100W would be too strong... I guess not... would you suggest returning it and getting a higher wattage? Or is there somethingelse that should be done?

The CHE and basking lamps do different jobs.

The CHE is for ambient heat. You must use it with a thermostat - set it to 80F - if temperatures are getting to 80 then you don’t need a bigger one.

The basking lamp is for the higher temperature of basking heat in a the small area directly under the basking lamp. You adjust this temperature by lowering the lamp towards the substrate (gets hotter) or raising it a bit higher (gets cooler). If you can’t get it warm enough under the basking lamp without having it too close to the substrate then this needs to be a higher Wattage bulb.

CincyTort26

Cincinnati, OH
The CHE and basking lamps do different jobs.

The CHE is for ambient heat. You must use it with a thermostat - set it to 80F - if temperatures are getting to 80 then you don’t need a bigger one.

The basking lamp is for the higher temperature of basking heat in a the small area directly under the basking lamp. You adjust this temperature by lowering the lamp towards the substrate (gets hotter) or raising it a bit higher (gets cooler). If you can’t get it warm enough under the basking lamp without having it too close to the substrate then this needs to be a higher Wattage bulb.

Fantastic!!

(amazon, here I come!)

Any recommendations for brands?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
yes, that seemed to be the only option my petstore had :/ they also had the long tube ones, but I don't have any of the parts for that style
That may be why his eyes are closed. Those spiral-shaped bulbs tend to bother tortoises' eyes. Eventually it will be like snow blindness and very painful for him.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
yes, that seemed to be the only option my petstore had :/ they also had the long tube ones, but I don't have any of the parts for that style
The coil bulb is the eye problem. Stop using it. The tort needs a basking spot of 95-100 in order to properly digest its food. Get either a long tube fluorescent uvb bulb or a mercury vapor bulb.
You will need to build a bigger enclosure or buy a greenhouse type. Nothing else is made big enough. Green house like pictured.
IMG_2611.PNG