Couch potatoe tortoise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisknakmuhs

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Evansville, IN
My russian tortoise is awesome, but all he wants to do is eat and go in his house. As soon as he gets done eating he immediately goes into his home I built for him, I guess you could say hes quite lazy...but hey its a tortoise =p Do any of you have some tips that could keep him atleast a little bit active? thanks guys!! =]

RTfanatic

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
College Station, TX
If the temp is too low they'll be less active. Or too hot they'll hide to escape it. More room to walk around helps and it's possible he's cramped. Things he can't see over until he climbs on them can help. It can stress a tortoise when they can see out because they want to try to get there (the grass is greener mentality), but their efforts to get there can be good exercise. Otherwise, if he's new it may be just a matter of giving him time to settle in.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Congrats on the new tort.
Most torts go thru relocation stress. All they want to do is hide. And often don't want to eat.
You might want to take out his hide for a while each day so he gets used to his new surroundings. I would put it in at night and leave it out most if not all the day.
Do you have a UVB bulb for him? If not, i suggest getting a ReptiSun 10...not a ReptiGlo. It usually makes them more active and healthier.
Do you have a place you can take him outside where there are no pesticides or dog poops? Mine always get more active when they're outside in the real sun.

Good luck
Patsy

Lil' Tortie

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Central TX
Agree, outdoor will boost their activities. Hideouts or not hideouts, my torts snuck along the (indoor) enclosure wall and doze off :D... They are so so cute though!

K9KidsLove said:
Congrats on the new tort.
Most torts go thru relocation stress. All they want to do is hide. And often don't want to eat.
You might want to take out his hide for a while each day so he gets used to his new surroundings. I would put it in at night and leave it out most if not all the day.
Do you have a UVB bulb for him? If not, i suggest getting a ReptiSun 10...not a ReptiGlo. It usually makes them more active and healthier.
Do you have a place you can take him outside where there are no pesticides or dog poops? Mine always get more active when they're outside in the real sun.

Good luck
Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.