Could a box turtle live outside in Sweden during the summer?

Korall

Location (City and/or State)
Sweden
So, i'm mostly doing this for fun since i have no plans to get a box turtle (Although i might consider if it i ever consider getting another tortoise/turtle)

So, after reading the care sheets for box turtles, i'm pretty sure that they could be outside during the summer in Sweden.
The temps during the summer (Unless its raining or really windy) tends to be around 70-80F (Although there are a few rare days where it can reach up to 86 F)

And provided that the turtle has some kind of shed with warmth, the windy days wouldn't really be a problem.
And if it has shade and a water bowl, the rare warm days probably wouldn't be a problem either.

The humidity during the summer in Sweden (From what i have read) is around 70-80%

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

Korall

Sweden
Yes I am sure it can. Your weather is more extreme than here in the UK, but it's still achievable.

Temperatures at ground level on a sunny day are way hotter than the air temperature.

You may find this thread helpful about outdoor accommodation in a cooler climate
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/

Yeah, it seems very achievable, even though the weather varies a lot.

I'l just need an indoor enclosure to keep it inside during the winter, early spring and late autumn and a big outdoor enclosure with a shed with warmth.
And some blue slate chips.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
So, i'm mostly doing this for fun since i have no plans to get a box turtle (Although i might consider if it i ever consider getting another tortoise/turtle)

So, after reading the care sheets for box turtles, i'm pretty sure that they could be outside during the summer in Sweden.
The temps during the summer (Unless its raining or really windy) tends to be around 70-80F (Although there are a few rare days where it can reach up to 86 F)

And provided that the turtle has some kind of shed with warmth, the windy days wouldn't really be a problem.
And if it has shade and a water bowl, the rare warm days probably wouldn't be a problem either.

The humidity during the summer in Sweden (From what i have read) is around 70-80%

Well, you started this thread so now you can not just sit on your hands and not get a box turtle:) Get your box turtle! Lol! And post a bunch of pictures on the progress of your enclosure and the new addition... don't leave this thread to die, we want to see box turtles in Sweden good luck on whatever turtle or tortoise if you so choose to get one!

Korall

Sweden
Well, you started this thread so now you can not just sit on your hands and not get a box turtle:) Get your box turtle! Lol! And post a bunch of pictures on the progress of your enclosure and the new addition... don't leave this thread to die, we want to see box turtles in Sweden good luck on whatever turtle or tortoise if you so choose to get one!

Well, i might get one in the future.
First i need to master the care of my first tortoise and then i need to build and buy everything.

But i wont let this thread die, i'l perhaps make some 3D blueprints :p
And i need to see if i can even get a box turtle.

Any specific american box turtle you recommend that i should focus on, even though the care for most of them are similar.

Korall

Sweden

The main problem would probably be to actually buy the turtle, since there aren't many places to buy them here.

Korall

Sweden

Well, i have now made some very crude 3D "blueprints" (More like models) of a potential outdoors enclosure, even though they are quite ugly they make it easier for me to describe my ideas for the outdoor enclosure as well as letting people suggest improvements before it start building it.

So, it would have a shed (The door on the side is for easy cleaning, and inside there would be a small water dish (So the boxie can stay hydrated during the colder days when it wants to stay inside its shed), a heating lamp with a rock and some hay.

Outside there would be a big water dish and a food bowl and there would also be various plants and bushes.

The enclosure itself would probably be made of some kind of net (Probably a metal net), to protect against birds while still allowing for the suns UV light to reach the turtle.
At ground level on every one of the sides there would be walls (Probably wood or something similar) instead of just net to protect against cats and foxes, so they cant reach the turtle from outside.

EDIT: The images were too big to be uploaded :p

Attachments

• BoxTurtle1.png
    6 MB · Views: 18

Korall

Sweden
We have at least 2 here. There was a lost tort in Sweden, subsequently found, last year :)

I just thought about something.
Imagine being a box turtle breeder in Sweden, though you would need a gigantic indoor enclosure to keep them inside during the winter.

Korall

Sweden
Box turtles can hibernate. Problem solved :)

Wait, they can?
I didn't even know, since i'm still searching around and reading the box turtle care sheets.
I've never hibernated something before, even less a turtle :p

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Wait, they can?
I didn't even know, since i'm still searching around and reading the box turtle care sheets.
The tropical species: Redfoot, Sulcata, Leopard, etc cannot hibernate.

Those from more northerly climes can. So Russians, Greeks, Hermann's and Box Turtles are all species that can hibernate. The first 3 will be much easier to source in Sweden I think.

You don't have to hibernate any species and it is not recommended that very young animals, or those you have owned for less than 12 months, are hibernated.

Very young torts of any species are better off indoors in a closed chamber/large vivarium in any case as it is easier to regulate the heat and humidity that they need. They should only be kept outdoors once they get to sub adult size.

Note that size is what is important with tortoise maturity, not age.

Korall

Sweden
The tropical species: Redfoot, Sulcata, Leopard, etc cannot hibernate.

Those from more northerly climes can. So Russians, Greeks, Hermann's and Box Turtles are all species that can hibernate. The first 3 will be much easier to source in Sweden I think.

You don't have to hibernate any species and it is not recommended that very young animals, or those you have owned for less than 12 months, are hibernated.

Very young torts of any species are better off indoors in a closed chamber/large vivarium in any case as it is easier to regulate the heat and humidity that they need. They should only be kept outdoors once they get to sub adult size.

Note that size is what is important with tortoise maturity, not age.

Yeah, i'm still contemplating what sized box turtle to get.
Whenever i should get a hatching or a slightly bigger one.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Yeah, i'm still contemplating what sized box turtle to get.
Whenever i should get a hatching or a slightly bigger one.

The answer to your question lies within the size of enclosure you can provide. If you can build at least 4'x4' outdoor/indoor enclosure then I say get an adult or sub adult. If that is not realistic this year then I would get a hatchling, yearling, or juvenile this year but still provide it with plenty of space such as a breeder tank or tub for the enclosure. Or of course build your own if you have the tools and skills to do so.

Korall

Sweden
The answer to your question lies within the size of enclosure you can provide. If you can build at least 4'x4' outdoor/indoor enclosure then I say get an adult or sub adult. If that is not realistic this year then I would get a hatchling, yearling, or juvenile this year but still provide it with plenty of space such as a breeder tank or tub for the enclosure. Or of course build your own if you have the tools and skills to do so.

I can defenitly get a 4x4 outdoor enclosure, I could probably get a 5x5m area for a turtle, since ive got a big back yard.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Wait, they can?
What are the winter average low temperatures in the part of Sweden you live in?

Korall

Sweden
What are the winter average low temperatures in the part of Sweden you live in?

Well, it's hard to tell since it can be anywhere from 40F-10F but If I were to hibernate the turtle I would do it indoors in a controlled environment.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Well, it's hard to tell since it can be anywhere from 40F-10F but If I were to hibernate the turtle I would do it indoors in a controlled environment.
Your winter temps sound similar to the northern parts of box turtles' natural range. You might be able to hibernate outside if you prepared a hibernaculum for them. What do you think @mark1 ?