Could Curtis go outside full time soon?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Curtis, my 2 year old Sulcata, is about 7.5-8 inches. His enclosure is a little(read “way”)too small for him, and I figure it would be a waste to build a bigger indoor enclosure if he’s only going to be in it a few more months.

Would it be safe for him to go out full time with a heated night box, or should I wait a while longer?IMG_1294.jpgIMG_1253.jpgIMG_1252.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
How are your temps there in the Winter? I’m guessing you would still try to keep and maintain the increased humidity.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
How are your temps there in the Winter? I’m guessing you would still try to keep and maintain the increased humidity.

Usually in the 40s, 30s and below every now and then. Forgot to plug winter into the equation, lol. Maybe outdoors for summer and indoors for winter for now?

And yes, I would probably leave a sprinkler going in the outdoor enclosure, and keep his night box humid.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like to move them out in Spring time. Not fall, just before winter. When you move him outside full time the current rate of growth will slow down drastically for months and sometimes more than a year, so he may not pass that 8" mark by the time winter rolls around. I would keep using the indoor enclosure for nights and over winter and move him in and out during fair weather until next spring.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I like to move them out in Spring time. Not fall, just before winter. When you move him outside full time the current rate of growth will slow down drastically for months and sometimes more than a year, so he may not pass that 8" mark by the time winter rolls around. I would keep using the indoor enclosure for nights and over winter and move him in and out during fair weather until next spring.

Alright, thank you! Good to know that their growth slows down, I’ll definitely keep him indoors for a while longer.(with outside time, obviously).

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
I don't plan to keep mine outside until it's at least 20 lbs. It's them damn owls I tell ya! lol

What kind of owls do you have up there? I wouldnt think that baby torts or turtles are a “normal” part of a northern owls diet. But, nothing wrong with being safe! :)

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
What kind of owls do you have up there? I wouldnt think that baby torts or turtles are a “normal” part of a northern owls diet. But, nothing wrong with being safe! :)

Not too sure what type they are to be honest. Only time I ever see them is when I have Ghost out grazing. One took a dive at him once and I've been paranoid ever since.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Not too sure what type they are to be honest. Only time I ever see them is when I have Ghost out grazing. One took a dive at him once and I've been paranoid ever since.

Interesting - most owls hunt at dusk and dawn - small rodents, moles, voles, mice, etc. good luck..

nezw0001

MN
Great Horned Owls are incredibly opportunistic. They will kill during the day given an opportunity. The will prey on an amazing variety of prey from skunks to snakes, cats to other raptors. it would not surprise me a bit for one to kill a smaller tort

Emily Contreras

Arizona
He looks big enough (at least for my standards) I plan to make him an enclosure outside as soon as possible, my guy is more of an outside dude. he loves it and is soo picky. I love sulcatas. easily the best pet ive owned