Could I keep my tortoise out side 24/7 in cold uk climate

Tortilla089

Location (City and/or State)
Telford
My Russia tortoise has lived inside his whole life and was thinking could I turn my glass greenhouse into a tortoise enclosure for the northern England summer and winter

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I wouldn't risk it. Maybe during the day with thermometers...? In the summer? As long as temperature stay above 60f and he has a basking spot of 95f to 100f.
My worry would be that I would accidentally leave the door open or something and it would get cold in there or Branch from a tree would come down and break it open and it would get cold in there... One night with the door open and your tortoise could die. It may take a couple weeks but once they get a respiratory infection it's a lot of it bills...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A greenhouse is hard to regulate temps. In the summer as long as at the tortoises height doesn't get too hot or there are vent Windows you can open to let heat out it would be okay. However, it's best to have an outdoor area he can go to too get out of the greenhouse and go into it when he wants. UVB does not go through glass.
In the winter he would hibernate but in a greenhouse where cold temps again can't be regulated he would either get too cold or would not be able to properly hibernate as the greenhouse would heat up when the sun was on it and he would be in and out of hibernation and then get too cold by the time the sun stopped warming the greenhouse. Unless in the winter you could heat it at a steady temp day and night.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My Russia tortoise has lived inside his whole life and was thinking could I turn my glass greenhouse into a tortoise enclosure for the northern England summer and winter

It can be done if you spend enough time, money and effort to do whatever needs to be done to maintain the correct conditions.

There is a reason why there are no tortoise species native to Northern England though...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Lot's of people in the UK keep their tortoises outside year round. Let's send a shout-out to @JoesMum

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The answer is probably not. The instinct to hibernate will be too strong, especially in the relatively northern climate of Shropshire where you live.

Indoors, with very bright lighting and good, warm temperatures you should succeed.

Outdoors, there is little chance with a Russian. A greenhouse won't provide the insulation needed for heat and there won't be enough natural daylight.

Have you seen my thread on keeping a tort outdoors in the UK?
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/