Could someone tell me if my 5 year old is a boy or a girl :) [Russian tortoise]

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I’m enjoying this thread! ?
AND it reinforces that I was right in my selection of a known female Hermanns from a breeder on the forum! My Elsa is gentle and serene: she is my guru.❤
I could NOT deal with an aggressive tortoise of ANY size!!! (yes, I'm a chicken!)

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Im unsure if she can't tell the difference between my fingers and carrots, but what I CAN tell you she will rush over and bite my fingers given the chance. Once bitten she does NOT let go :D (and yes, it hurts)
Hand feeding is a very bad habit to get into. I have also been bitten, by Sulcata, the pain is intense and you are right they don't let go. You should use tongs...think about this...your neighbor came over to show her granddaughter the tortoises. So the little girl, 3 years old, is wandering around looking at the torts and 1, the hand fed male tortoise rushed over to get whatever treat, and he grabbed a hold of her tiny hand...
100_4968.JPG

NeekoBe

Belgium
Hand feeding is a very bad habit to get into. I have also been bitten, by Sulcata, the pain is intense and you are right they don't let go. You should use tongs...think about this...your neighbor came over to show her granddaughter the tortoises. So the little girl, 3 years old, is wandering around looking at the torts and 1, the hand fed male tortoise rushed over to get whatever treat, and he grabbed a hold of her tiny hand...

Jesus christ thats insane... A sulcata is still different than this but still..

I’d say female, and needs her claws filed.

Really? :eek: she doesn't seem to have any issues walking around but i'll look into it thanks!

Dcatalano

Colorado
My Russian likes hanging out with me when he’s soaking. Otherwise he tucks in or scrambles away. He hasn’t tried to bite but I keep my fingers out of the way!

Attachments

• 784A0DF4-FB00-41B3-B462-71B53D06B71F.jpeg
    784A0DF4-FB00-41B3-B462-71B53D06B71F.jpeg
    777.9 KB · Views: 19

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
As title says, I've asked this before but people told me he/she was way too small to accurately tell. HE/She has grown a TON since (nearing 0.5KG).And I was hoping it would be different now :

I *think* it is a male because :

* Extremely aggressive to other tortoises : cannot be kept with other tortoises, even when she was like 1-2 years old she would attack/ bob his/her head at tortoises FAR larger.
* Head bobbing (I heard this is like a mating call/ display of dominance).
* Even though the shell shape says female, the tail seems a tad too long, also sometimes walks with tail tucked to the side.

However, last time my vet says he thinks its looking more like a female so...

View attachment 320588View attachment 320589View attachment 320590
Haven't got bit yet but I get rammed often

NeekoBe

Belgium
Haven't got bit yet but I get rammed often

IS that u? thats hillarious :D

My Russian likes hanging out with me when he’s soaking. Otherwise he tucks in or scrambles away. He hasn’t tried to bite but I keep my fingers out of the way!

Omg what a cutie, He doesn't look mean at all :D

My Russian chased a sulcuta that I was babysitting. Mean little bugger!

We used to have a tortoise that was about 2x her size (also russian) surely enough she would chase and bite her... had to separate.

I have two babies now, one 100Gr one 200Gr. The 100Gr one won't leave the 200 Gr alone :')

I would understand males fighting or big ones picking on small ones, but these animals social dynamics make no sense :D

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga

We used to have a tortoise that was about 2x her size (also russian) surely enough she would chase and bite her... had to separate.

I have two babies now, one 100Gr one 200Gr. The 100Gr one won't leave the 200 Gr alone :')

I would understand males fighting or big ones picking on small ones, but these animals social dynamics make no sense :D
Ya that's my tortoise Murphy, he's a real jerk sometimes ?

Walnut's_pet

Connecticut
I had same question about my RT. Based on past Google research for characteristics between male and female, it looks to be female (based on the stubby tail). Not sure about being aggressive... but mine is about as stubborn as a mule. Move her to clean her plate and she will fight, push and scramble to go right back to where she was. And Walnut has been known to throw tantrums by 'reorganizing' the enclosure if she has not had enough out of the enclosure time

Grace-Sophia

Texas
I have a male Russian and he Is so stinking sweet! He loves to be held and is so social towards people, he is also very curious and loves to go for walks. He is a adopted rescue and around 15-20 years of age. His name is Felix!

Attachments

• 4123757A-971B-4494-A914-0F453B6FED83.jpeg
    4123757A-971B-4494-A914-0F453B6FED83.jpeg
    392.5 KB · Views: 15

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu

Youʻre right! If they were people weʻd have a ton of social issues going on

Russiantortylady

Vermont
As title says, I've asked this before but people told me he/she was way too small to accurately tell. HE/She has grown a TON since (nearing 0.5KG).And I was hoping it would be different now :

* Extremely aggressive to other tortoises : cannot be kept with other tortoises, even when she was like 1-2 years old she would attack/ bob his/her head at tortoises FAR larger.
* Even though the shell shape says female, the tail seems a tad too long, also sometimes walks with tail tucked to the side.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Glad to hear its not just mine :')

It started with just biting my fingers at the end of a lettuce when i was hand feeding (not sure if it's a thing you should do with tortoises, but both me and the tortoise seem to enjoy it so :D).

Then I put my hand out so she would come over for scratches and she just ran over and bit me, even did the paw push thing they do when trying to rip salad in half to my hand :').

I'm going to assume she had mistaken me for food, and I do not have an actual bloodthirsty tortoise.

Very cute but id lie if I said it didn't hurt at least a little bit.
With a Russian don't assume anything ?