Could this be a retained egg finally let out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grogansilver

5 Year Member
:tort: I was feeding My Russians tortoises this morning and i noticed this did not look like a normal poop (Sh.t) it was from my large female but i could only guess what it could be? any body ever seen a bad egg held inside and then finally released? :tort:

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
bloody urates? but it almost looks like intestines.. hmmmm
Has your tort laid before? How is she acting?

grogansilver

5 Year Member
Laura said:
bloody urates? but it almost looks like intestines.. hmmmm
Has your tort laid before? How is she acting?
:tort: shes acting normal not sick, very "active" she was eating the Romain lettuce at the time! shes the big girl shes about 6 1/2 inches as far as laying eggs don't know got her last year shes been treated for worms and parasites! beats me the only thing i could think of is a bad egg! :tort:

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
is romaine her norm diet? i would change that if it is... something with dark greens, like spring mix.. other weeds..
have you fed anything different the last week or so? cactus?

grogansilver

5 Year Member
Laura said:
is romaine her norm diet? i would change that if it is... something with dark greens, like spring mix.. other weeds..
have you fed anything different the last week or so? cactus?
:tort: Laura Ive tried everything under the book they will not touch nothing but Romain! i even tried Mazuri no luck! whats that old saying you can bring a Horse to water but you can not get him to Drink, "thats them!!!! :tort:

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Time for some tough love. Offer other choices until they eat. I've had to do it a few times.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Looks like feces with a lot of mucus..Have you had him check for parasites...( seen similar with a puppy I had(minus the urates) lots of mucus..tested positive for giardia)..

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
hi, could he have gotting in to something? bet he feels good now.please let us know if you find out.very strange.looks like uncooked chicken. i want to know what it is too. lindy

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
jackrat said:
Time for some tough love. Offer other choices until they eat. I've had to do it a few times.
I agree. You have to treat your torts like fussy children sometimes. Kids will hold out for sweet stuff, but tell them there will be none until they eat their main course and they cave in through hunger. as a parent, you stick to your word, because you're in charge, not the little monster throwing a tantrum because they can't have candy.

Present only the good stuff. Bathe daily to ensure water intake and weigh daily to make sure there's no rapid weight loss. Your tort will get hungry and will eat other stuff as long as conditions are not too hot/cold.

In the wild, they may go without food for a few days for many reasons and it does no harm.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
you can also put cut up romaine in with good stuff.. mix it well. ,, then start feeding less and less...
Mine like the purple color lettuce.. and the very weedy looking spider web stuff.. ?? in the spring mix.
He will eat it all, but goes for that first. loves colors..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Usually retained eggs already have the calcium deposited on them and would come out looking like ... well, eggs! :p

Might be a good idea to take something like that to the vet for them to look at it and see if it is full of parasites.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have nothing useful to say, but that picture almost made me toss up my cookies, I think I have had way to much candy today.

Neltharion

10 Year Member!
Northern California
grogansilver said:
:tort: I was feeding My Russians tortoises this morning and i noticed this did not look like a normal poop (Sh.t) it was from my large female but i could only guess what it could be? any body ever seen a bad egg held inside and then finally released? :tort:

It almost looks like she ate something living, but couldn't completely digest it. Any way she could have gotten a hold of a pinkie mouse or small lizard? I don't think it would be a bad egg. My thinking is that egg shell fragments would have been expelled also.

M

Maggie Cummings

I agree it's time for tough love. Remember, they can only eat what YOU present to them. If YOU give them romaine that's what they'll eat. So start offering them a good healthy tortoise salad and don't give in. A healthy tortoise will not starve themselves to death. They WILL eat when they get hungry. So it's up to you to feed them a good healthy diet and nothing else. If they don't eat what you offer, take it away and offer the same thing tomorrow and so on until they eat. They can go for weeks without hurting themselves...it's YOU that gets hurt, but you need to be tough and strong and feed them a healthy diet...

Status
Not open for further replies.