Could this be a sudan?

gustaf

5 Year Member
This guy is 25 -26 inches and close to 100 pounds. He is right at 10 yrs old. He is one of the nicest specimens i have seen here locally in central florida. He seems big for his age. Could he be a sudan? Or is he just a nice big mutt? Either way hes a pretty awesome tort. But he seems a little darker than some and his shell is pretty high domed. What do you think. Just curious.

Attachments

• 1407249660588.jpg
    1407249660588.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 162
  • 1407249679060.jpg
    1407249679060.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 158

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
No way of really knowing unless the owner personally purchased him from Brad. Also when the Sudanese were sold to public they were much more costly around 250-300 a baby. So it's going to be unlikely that any Sudanese were just handed out like the others. However, some could of been imported in and kept by others and just sold as sulcatas but carry the giant gene of the Sudanese. I think he's just normal for his age. I have one now that's gotta be 150 and same length maybe little longer actually that's 11 years old. So to answer your question it's likely Sudanese but so could many others be as well. No real way of knowing, unless traced through proper sources of its origin.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Regardless of whether he's Sudan or not...that is one gorgeous sulcata! Big and a nice shell!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He is indeed a beautiful specimen. I think the color is just dirty, though. Time will tell. If he gets to be over 150lbs and seems to be still growing, I'd say it's a good bet he's a Sudan.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

gustaf

5 Year Member
Well, whatever he is im gonna fork out the money and buy him. Its beautiful and he has only had owner and i know his history. I think thats kind of cool.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Well, whatever he is im gonna fork out the money and buy him. Its beautiful and he has only had owner and i know his history. I think thats kind of cool.

Good for you! Because, above all, it's important that he gets a GREAT home...and he's already enormous, so you'll have a helluva conversation piece!

Note: Once he's yours, make sure you flood us with pictures ;)

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
That is a really good looking Sulcata. Good choice on taking him home.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
i'm not versed in sulcata's but i feel kinda dumb for asking what's a sudan?

Sulcatas have a wide range. They were imported to the US from several locations prior to importation being banned in 1998. Most of the ones we have came from Mali, but some came from the country of Sudan. We refer to these as "Sudan Sulcatas" denoting their country of origin. They tend to get much bigger than the Mali sulcatas and they tend to have that big round high dome, as opposed to more of a sloping back.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Sulcatas have a wide range. They were imported to the US from several locations prior to importation being banned in 1998. Most of the ones we have came from Mali, but some came from the country of Sudan. We refer to these as "Sudan Sulcatas" denoting their country of origin. They tend to get much bigger than the Mali sulcatas and they tend to have that big round high dome, as opposed to more of a sloping back.
thanks for the info much appreciated

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Gustaf, it sure looks like a Sudan from what I have seen, but Kelly is spot on with his explanation.

I also agree with Dean, Yvonne and Motero, that this is a gorgeous specimen and you will be lucky to have him. I would also like to request lots of pics once you get him. Man, that is a good looking tortoise.

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
He is def a gorgeous boy! Those big white growth lines let you know he isn't done yet either :)

gustaf

5 Year Member
Well i picked him up earlier this evening. When i got him home i weighed and measures him. He is 116 pounds and 27 1/2 inches long. He will turn 10 years old in mid september. I will post pics tomorrow.

gustaf

5 Year Member
Thats my daughter in the pic with him. If i ever get out of the dentist office waiting room i will go home and post more pics. Aargh.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Seriously. That is one of the nicest looking sulcatas I have seen. His size and shape are very appealing to my eye. Love the head, the legs and especially that high dome.

I'm not usually jealous of other people's sulcatas, but I am in this case.

More pics please. (When you have time, of course.)

gustaf

5 Year Member
still at the stinkin dentist. One of my kids is here for a cleaning. We were waiting for more than an hr and a half before they called her back. I know thats not tort related but im about out of patience. Lol

gustaf

5 Year Member
Ya tom. Ive been looking for a really nice sulcata for awhile. They wanted more money than i wanted to spend. And i saw a couple other decent ones for sale. But my gut said just go take a look at him. When i saw him i knew i couldnt pass him up. They let me take him home for $400 and im so glad i did. I feel lucky and blessed to have him. I cant wait to see how much bigger he gets the next few years. Even if he doesnt grow much more, he is awesome. But i have a feeling he has some growing left to do.