Could use some advice on the current build....

CincyTort26

Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati, OH
Hey guys! So I had my Sulcata in a 20gal long glass aquarium for his first year (though from May-Aug he was outside in a large dog-ex pen during the day). Well, knowing he'll need more room as winter comes, I've built him/her a 2x4 enclosure. I know its not the optimal size for a sully. I'm constrained by my roommate, but I'm in the process of buying a house now (where I'll have more room to build him a bigger enclosure).

Anyway, I'm attaching a picture. I used PVC board from home depot to build the bottom/sides. The sides are 12" tall. i'm happy with the enclosure itself, but I'm having trouble regulating the temperature. I have a 150W basking light at one end (you can see in the picture) and a 100W CHE and 75W UVB bulb on the other (just out of the picture). Anyway, my man is eating, but has been pretty lethargic, so I know temps aren't high enough. I'm measuring about 95 degrees under the basking lamp and only about 75 under the CHE; the room itself is maintained around 68.

My question for you guys is this: I would like to enclose the rest of it, I think that would be the best option, but I'm struggling to come up with the how...

Any advice would be appreciated!!

IMG_4048.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Make some sort of frame - either PVC pipe or wood - and drape the whole thing with plastic. Here's how I do it:

closed chamber 8-1-17 a.jpg

lights a.jpg

There's a piece of plywood on the bottom with two 2x4s vertically on either end and a 1x2 across the top from one 2x4 to the other. Then I wrap the lights around the 1x2. You have to measure to be sure you get the 2x4s tall enough to have the lights be 12" at the very least away from the substrate.

CincyTort26

Cincinnati, OH
Oh that's great! Just what I was thinking!! What are your concerns with the plastic and fire hazard? Also, could I ask what type of plastic you use?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I buy a roll of 4 mil plastic sheeting from the hardware store. None of the plastic ever comes in contact with the lights, so there's no danger of fire or melting.

CincyTort26

Cincinnati, OH
Thank you so much! I have the lamps on PVC stands I made now, I'll add a bit more to build a stronger frame and I will make this my weekend project!!