Could we have a Hibernation forum / sub forum?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Every year we get a string of questions about hibernation/brumation and they're all over the place in many forums. And it's clear the 2016 season has begun.

I'd like to suggest a home for these threads either as a stand alone forum or maybe as a subforum of Enclosures or Tortoise Health perhaps?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Every year we get a string of questions about hibernation/brumation and they're all over the place in many forums. And it's clear the 2016 season has begun.

I'd like to suggest a home for these threads either as a stand alone forum or maybe as a subforum of Enclosures or Tortoise Health perhaps?
That would be a great idea, particularly that in many parts of the world Winter and cold weather are very near.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
I think it's a great idea! (I didn't answer this thread back when I first saw it because I thought it was a done deal :S)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We have all questions all over the place over and over because people ask before searching. We'd have to have a sub forum for just about every question there is. I don't think it's needed. What's needed is more searching first.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
We have all questions all over the place over and over because people ask before searching. We'd have to have a sub forum for just about every question there is. I don't think it's needed. What's needed is more searching first.
I think hibernation/ brumation is as specific a topic as Health, Enclosures and Lighting which all have their own homes.

It also applies across many species.

It's not like having a shell rot forum or a not eating forum.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Also, the search function is not always effective, at least in the app. Personally I prefer browsing.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's how I search too, Linda. I hardly ever have a successful search from the Forum's home page. I go to Google and type in, "Tortoise forum - hibernation" and the results come back with all the posts we've made about hibernation.

The reason we didn't respond to your thread is because this is a question for Josh. He comes in every so often and reads the "help and feedback" section. It would help him make up his mind about the new subject if more members would give their opinion on if it's needed or not.

I'm for it.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
That's how I search too, Linda. I hardly ever have a successful search from the Forum's home page. I go to Google and type in, "Tortoise forum - hibernation" and the results come back with all the posts we've made about hibernation.

The reason we didn't respond to your thread is because this is a question for Josh. He comes in every so often and reads the "help and feedback" section. I would help him make up his mind about the new subject if more members would give their opinion on if it's needed or not.

I'm for it.
Thanks Yvonne.

I had assumed from the lack of response that members generally weren't interested.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Thanks Yvonne.

I had assumed from the lack of response that members generally weren't interested.
I don't think TFO members mind any questions or in put . But don't forget you don't have to hibernate any tort or turtle ! So to start a section out by saying you don't have to but isn't a great idea . Just my thoughts .

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I don't think TFO members mind any questions or in put . But don't forget you don't have to hibernate any tort or turtle ! So to start a section out by saying you don't have to but isn't a great idea . Just my thoughts .
Surely that will end up as a theme throughout? I hibernate Joe but I always preface any answer with 'hibernation is not mandatory'.

I just felt that collating the information in one place would help just as collating information about enclosures in one place does.

Just because the forum space is about hibernation doesn't mean that "TFO says you have to hibernate" it means that people looking into it can find information about species that can/can't, fridge versus box versus don't, etc all in one place :)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
This is the problem everywhere.

I'm also a active member for a tortoise forum in China, Many, many member in that forum, new or old, love to start a "one line thread" like: HELP....My torts have a running nose.... or: Is my torts looks OK?? Or Help me set-up a indoor enclosure! ! ! !That's it, one line, few words. Looks like they are play a guessing game. Most of the time, I will just reply: Search, Search, Search. ! ! ! !