Couple ?'s from new mommy of 2 Sulcata babies.

Sam.eye.yem

5 Year Member
Hello there,

We have recently adopted a pair of Sulcata hatchlings that we can't wait to watch our 8 month old daughter grow up with. I have a few questions/concerns that I hope someone will be able to help me with.

1. Housing:
- we are currently using a 20 gallon tank, only temporary. I
repeat... ONLY TEMPORARY.
We are building something special for our new little additions but after reading a few entries on this forum, I'm not so sure that what we had in mind is appropriate.
We were gonna build 4'x4' wood enclosure with two levels & about 1.5' tall. Any recommendations or advice would be much appreciated.

2. Substrate:
- we currently use coconut coir with a few patches of alfalfa to help with borrowing. I know grass hay is better, but is alfalfa really all that bad? It was given to us for free and the babies seem to enjoy digging in it.

3. Food:
-we have just planted tall grazing Bermuda grass in organic soil. We planted the grass in a cat litter tray that we have turned into a planter for the new enclosure. We are currently feeding them the Bermuda grass from our backyard (until our organic stuff sprouts up). We have lived in this house since July 2014 and have never sprayed anything on the grazing grass. Also, I ordered dried hibiscus flowers. No chemicals added, are these okay to feed them once in awhile?

4. Temperature:
-their tank currently teeters between 78 & 80, should I buy stronger bulbs? We are using 2 bulbs; a red infrared and a uvb.

5. Soaking:
-with the torts being so small, I have no idea how to keep the water warm. I soak them every other day and place their little bath tub halfway in the sun to try to keep the water warm...
It starts warm and within minutes.. The water is cool.... And I live in the desert! (Phx, AZ) any suggestions?

6. Misc:
- since it gets pretty hot here, are there any suggestions, as far as, keeping the enclosure outside? That's including now and in the future.

Thanks again!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Welcome! First off, did you know that these guys do not do well in pairs? Do you have room to keep them seperate from each other?
I have mine in a 6x3 foot enclosure and within one year she grew out of it.
Coir is good and hay molds so just keep it fresh
Hibiscus is really good, leaves and flowers.
Temps- your are going to want a warm humid environment for these guys. 80 is okish for a cool end but you also need a warm side of 85ish and a basking spot of 95to 100. Try a che, they are great for heat night and day.
When I soak mine, I keep re-filling with warm water as it cools
Plenty of shaded areas are a good way to keep them cool out side. You have time to plan a great outdoor are for them. Plant bushes like hibiscus and mulberry trees. Both the leaves are good tort food from these and will give you good shade:)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). The enclosure should actually be 80 all over with humidity of 80% and a basking of 95+ don't use hay for substrate, it molds and is drying. The 20 gallons is too small. You need to have a water bowl, food bowl, couple hides, cuz you have two and then walking space, the two most likely will need to be seperated eventually just always watch for bullying. It can be as suttle as one just not eating or not sleeping in a hide, or staying in a corner.
Please read Toms threads below in my post for proper care.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
1. Read up on closed chambers and read up on housing tortoises in pairs. Closed chambers will allow you to house them in "African conditions" without your entire house having to be hot and humid.

Your 2 will need to be separated.

2. Ditch the hay. You can use sphagnum moss instead. It serves the same purpose (well minus the edible part) and they love to burrow into it and it won't mold in the damp conditions.

ev9jm0.jpg

See? They love it!

3. Lots of good foods to feed out there. Somewhere here in the Sulcata section you will even find a nicely typed out list! I'm just not good at linking to threads while on my phone. :rolleyes:

4. Those temps are too cool. Fine for the ambient temps but not basking.

What kind of UV bulb are you using? Is it a long skinny bulb or a short spiral bulb? Those coil bulbs have quite a bad reputation. Many reptiles have suffered eye damage from them. I wouldn't use one if someone paid me!

5. Do you actually temp the water? I use a laser gun to get accurate readings. You'd be surprised how 85-90F water feels cold to our hands.

6. Shade, shade, shade will be your best friend LOL
Underground retreats, too. Dirt is a fabulous insulator.

Sam.eye.yem

5 Year Member
1. Read up on closed chambers and read up on housing tortoises in pairs. Closed chambers will allow you to house them in "African conditions" without your entire house having to be hot and humid.

Your 2 will need to be separated.

2. Ditch the hay. You can use sphagnum moss instead. It serves the same purpose (well minus the edible part) and they love to burrow into it and it won't mold in the damp conditions.

ev9jm0.jpg

See? They love it!

3. Lots of good foods to feed out there. Somewhere here in the Sulcata section you will even find a nicely typed out list! I'm just not good at linking to threads while on my phone. :rolleyes:

4. Those temps are too cool. Fine for the ambient temps but not basking.

What kind of UV bulb are you using? Is it a long skinny bulb or a short spiral bulb? Those coil bulbs have quite a bad reputation. Many reptiles have suffered eye damage from them. I wouldn't use one if someone paid me!

5. Do you actually temp the water? I use a laser gun to get accurate readings. You'd be surprised how 85-90F water feels cold to our hands.

6. Shade, shade, shade will be your best friend LOL
Underground retreats, too. Dirt is a fabulous insulator.

Sam.eye.yem

5 Year Member
:)Hi there!
Me again... gonna try to coordinate my responses and follow-up ?'s with your previous response.

1. I pulled up a photo of a closed chamber enclosure, and that looks great! Did you build yours? If so, do you have any tips for building or materials?

2. I found New Zealand sphagnum moss on amazon. It is not green like the photo, it's more of a tan, saw-dusty, color. Is this the same? Also, do you know where we can purchase for pretty cheap? I generally stick to amazon but I am open to anywhere that saves a buck.

4. The UVB bulb is a long skinny one. I just bought 100w zoo med reptile basking spot bulb. It emits heat, sun, and UVA. Thought I could add that to basking area to warm it up some more.

5. I have not temped the water, I have never even heard of this fancy laser gun you speak of! LOL! I have a regular thermometer, will that suffice?

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Sam.eye.yem

5 Year Member
Hello and Welcome:). The enclosure should actually be 80 all over with humidity of 80% and a basking of 95+ don't use hay for substrate, it molds and is drying. The 20 gallons is too small. You need to have a water bowl, food bowl, couple hides, cuz you have two and then walking space, the two most likely will need to be seperated eventually just always watch for bullying. It can be as suttle as one just not eating or not sleeping in a hide, or staying in a corner.
Please read Toms threads below in my post for proper care.

Sam.eye.yem

5 Year Member
Welcome! First off, did you know that these guys do not do well in pairs? Do you have room to keep them seperate from each other?
I have mine in a 6x3 foot enclosure and within one year she grew out of it.
Coir is good and hay molds so just keep it fresh
Hibiscus is really good, leaves and flowers.
Temps- your are going to want a warm humid environment for these guys. 80 is okish for a cool end but you also need a warm side of 85ish and a basking spot of 95to 100. Try a che, they are great for heat night and day.
When I soak mine, I keep re-filling with warm water as it cools
Plenty of shaded areas are a good way to keep them cool out side. You have time to plan a great outdoor are for them. Plant bushes like hibiscus and mulberry trees. Both the leaves are good tort food from these and will give you good shade:)

Sam.eye.yem

5 Year Member
I read that 2 males would fight but I thought that wasn't until they reached sexual maturity. That is so disappointing!
Also, did you have one or two in the 6x3?
Thanks again!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I read that 2 males would fight but I thought that wasn't until they reached sexual maturity. That is so disappointing!
Also, did you have one or two in the 6x3?
Thanks again!
All combos of the tortoises can fight. As hatchlings sometimes they can live together for a while, but always should be watched for bullying.

Sam.eye.yem

5 Year Member
Ed is a wee bit smaller than Bertha.
B sleeps in the house and Ed always out in center of cage. I feel like maybe she is starting to bully already?
I have talked it over with my husband and we are going to rehome one. They are named after my late great-grandparents, so now the hard part is to decide whether to kick out Nana or Papa. LOL!
Thank you all for the help and responses, much appreciated!!!

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Ed is a wee bit smaller than Bertha.
B sleeps in the house and Ed always out in center of cage. I feel like maybe she is starting to bully already?
I have talked it over with my husband and we are going to rehome one. They are named after my late great-grandparents, so now the hard part is to decide whether to kick out Nana or Papa. LOL!
Thank you all for the help and responses, much appreciated!!!

I bet that was a very hard decision to make!! You will be SO glad you did in a few years, trust me. :) They are so precious when they are bitty. I want five! Not smart though...lol

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
:)Hi there!
Me again... gonna try to coordinate my responses and follow-up ?'s with your previous response.

1. I pulled up a photo of a closed chamber enclosure, and that looks great! Did you build yours? If so, do you have any tips for building or materials?

2. I found New Zealand sphagnum moss on amazon. It is not green like the photo, it's more of a tan, saw-dusty, color. Is this the same? Also, do you know where we can purchase for pretty cheap? I generally stick to amazon but I am open to anywhere that saves a buck.

4. The UVB bulb is a long skinny one. I just bought 100w zoo med reptile basking spot bulb. It emits heat, sun, and UVA. Thought I could add that to basking area to warm it up some more.

5. I have not temped the water, I have never even heard of this fancy laser gun you speak of! LOL! I have a regular thermometer, will that suffice?

THANKS AGAIN!!!

1. I did build 2 of my own closed chambers but a chamber with the lights housed inside are much more efficient and safer lol

2. The one you found is also fine to use. I've used it too. Just give it a good rinse, then wring it out and you'll be good to go!

5. Anything that will accurately temp the water will work. Many of us have found that knowing the water temperature puts our mind at ease.