Cousin's Red-Eared Slider

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo's Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
My cousin found a little red-eared slider while out walking recently. I was just curious is anybody could tell me about how to care for them so I can give them some tips. I don't exactly know what they are feeding it and what size of tank. The turtle is still really young, it probably isn't more than a little older than a hatchling.

Thanks.:tort:

P.S. It's name is Ralph

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Did your friend try to figure where it came from...or was it headed in the direction of a body of water? Is your cousin in an area it would have come from?

Have your friend join the Forum here so we all can offer up pointers based on what they are doing so far....the baby will need a tank in which to swim...a water heater..a uvb light along with a basking light and a basking dock...they are meat eaters when young and gradually progress to greens when they get older as well....also this turtle species can get the size of a large dinner plate...and they grow rather quickly...so future tank or stock tank plans will be needed as the turtle grows....:D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If it is native to your cousins area, it should be let go where he got it from. Leave the wild, in the wild. If not, ascott pretty much covered it.

Mojo's Mom

5 Year Member
Kansas
My thoughts exactly on the wild part...

But the turtle was found on a road, if I'm correct I think it was in the middle of the neighborhood they live in. So, not nessecarly "the wild."

Thanks ascott about the info. I think they've been feeding it lettuce :(... I'll tell them.

As for the joining, I am going to try to get them to join. :D

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Just forewarn your cousin- water turtles take a lot more work than people think. You really cannot just drop it in a small tank and call it good.

Even though the area where it was found was developed, it is still 'home' to the little guy, and I would REALLY recommend taking it back after you've all had the chance to appreciate it for a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.