Cover for Outdoor Enclosures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cathy L

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Coast of California
I am finishing up my outdoor enclosure for my Hermanns'. It is in the fenced backyard of my house in a residential neighborhood. I was wondering if it is necessary to put a cover on it. Does everyone cover their enclosures outdoors? i wanted to plant some taller plants in it but can't do that if I have to cover it. Here is the photo of what it looked like before I added plants and hides and stuff.

Attachments

• IMG-20110619-00026.jpg
    IMG-20110619-00026.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 80

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
How small is your tort? Birds can carry them off. If you use a wider wire top the plants will grow right threw it. I use a bird netting that I got from the hardware store. It's removable and not heavy enough to weigh down bushes. It is made for fruit trees.

Cathy L

5 Year Member
Missy said:
How small is your tort? Birds can carry them off. If you use a wider wire top the plants will grow right threw it. I use a bird netting that I got from the hardware store. It's removable and not heavy enough to weigh down bushes. It is made for fruit trees.

Mine is about 4 inches and my daughter's is about 3 inches. I have them outdoors uncovered during the day but bring them in at night. Since I live in California I would like to leave them out 24/7 once they are in their new enclosure.

The bird netting sounds great, but would it keep out raccoons or possums? (Not that I have seen any around here).

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
If they're staying out overnight, I'd put some kind of secure cover on it. Probably something heavier than bird netting. Maybe welded wire fencing or hardware cloth

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I'd be much more concerned about human predators (kids) than I would the animal kind. Although it's good to guard against both of them! There are very few birds are going to bother tortoises that are over 3". Unless you have hawks or very large crows or ravens in the area. Racoons, dogs and to some extent, cats might be a problem if you have a lot in your area.

Cathy L

5 Year Member
I am not concerned about human predators, but we do have large crows. Has anyone heard of someone losing a tort to a crow? I have never seen a raccoon around here in the 23 years that we have lived here and no dogs can get in our yard.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
jaizei said:
If they're staying out overnight, I'd put some kind of secure cover on it. Probably something heavier than bird netting. Maybe welded wire fencing or hardware cloth

2nd the idea of hardware cloth...the 1/2" stuff, in a strong wooden frame, is fine.

And, GB's suggestion about the two-legged predators is something to think about...might want to make the enclosure's lid(s) lockable.

Status
Not open for further replies.