Cracked eggs!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katherine

5 Year Member
Any one ever successfully incubate an egg that was fissured during laying? Frankie (female sulcata) likes to dig a deep hole and drop her eggs a substantial distance to their resting place so often there are 3-7 eggs with hairline cracks or fractures. We have tried many different approaches to remedy these doomed eggs but so far no success. There were 7 in her last clutch and for the first time we packed them with her own mud, and then incubated like normal. Without disturbing them too much i can tell that 3 of them have started to develop; I'm optimistic but not holding my breath! Anyone else ever try to hatch the cracked ones? Any success stories?

jackrat

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamburg,AR
I've had success with both freezer tape and elmers wood glue.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If the shell is cracked but the membrane is sill intact you can just leave them alone.

Katherine

5 Year Member
Thanks, weve tried leaving them as is, skin glue, and adhering vinyl patches without any success but will def give wood glue and freezer tape a shot next go round if our mud packing fails. Anything feels better than giving up on them : )

Termite Farmer

5 Year Member
I have hatched various hard shell reptile eggs that had cracks in them by smearing the crack with neosporin or triple antibiotic (petrolium based) and placing a small piece of plastic wrap as a cover over the crack and baking as usual. As long as they don't have any liquid seeping out this has proven very sucessfull.
I was shown this by Carl Feurry, a very successfull cyclura (rock iguana) breeder so I take no credit for this imaginative approach.

Katherine

5 Year Member
Thanks so much for the info! Just dug up a clutch with a single fractured egg and and intend to try a new approach : ) Just curious if you have hung onto any reptiles hatched with the neosporin; and if so if you can attest to their hearing abilities. I am not too worried since it is only one egg and I could easily accommodate a single deaf adult if that becomes the case; but would be anxious to try a triple antibiotic in larger numbers. Would love feed back on the hatchlings if you have any : ) thanks again, truly appreciate it!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes they will often still hatch if the inner membrane is intact.

What concerns me is the number of cracked eggs in each nest. They should be able to withstand a pretty good knocking around without cracking. Try supplementing that female with more calcium and soak her once a week for a while. I'll bet that will give you fewer cracked eggs per clutch. I have a female that was given to me as a large adult about a year ago. She was raised and cared for pretty horribly before I got her and I had a lot of eggs break in her first clutch. 11 out of 22. I started putting calcium on her food and soaking her more and her next clutch 6 weeks later had 9 out of 24 broken. Ten weeks later only 5 out of 25. Her latest clutch around a year after I got her had only 3 out of 22 cracked. It has been slow but steady improvement, but I am undoing 15 years of poor diet and bad care. I bet yours is starting in much better shape than mine and so you'll probably have even better results than me.

Katherine

5 Year Member
Thnks for the great advice : ) I already love this forum!

I don't free catch her eggs but rather allow her to bury them and dig them up after she abandons eggs. We are in La and right off a river bed so the soil is heavy and clay like (tried offering sandy loam 'nesting patches, she won't bite) I had hypothesized that one factor in the large number of fissures is possibly that the eggs crack under the incredible weight of 20+iinches of wet clay. You know how they loooove to stomp it down good and make sure they leave no trace : ) 7 was the most I've ever seen injured (but I'm pretty sure we cracked two trying to find her nest at the bottom of the deep abyss in the black of night :( ) so maybe it's time to up the calcium, they are always growing afterall! The clutch I pulled up this evening from the same female had only one injured egg, 29 perfect ping pong balls, so if she is deficient I'm hopeful it won't be hard to correct....

I currently supplement with mauzuri all year round, extra for breeders when gravid, and always sprinkle w powdered calcium before soaking it. Plus feed tons of dark leafy calcium rich veg; but the mazuri and powder are really the only quantifiable calcium level i could adjust easily. Maybe I am going light with it now? It is my understanding that powdered calcium could be caustic in large quantities so I always add it to the food soak, but maybe theres a better form of transmission? How much calcium do you generally feed? This particular female is prob around 90lbsish.

Thanks!!

Also would love to hear from anyone with triple-antibiotic follow up stories : )

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've never heard of the triple-antibiotic thing.

Sounds like you have all the bases covered to me. I let mine finish and dig them up later too. Most of the time my nests are right around 18" deep and we have pretty hard rocky dirt here. My other two females rarely crack and egg when nesting and I notice a difference in how the eggs "feel" between my three girls. The eggs out of my one female just feel like the shell is thinner and less substantial. The eggs out of the other two are noticeably thicker feeling. Although the thinner shelled ones are starting to pretty much feel the same as the others now.

Here's a question for you. I hear about people catching eggs as they are laid all the time. Free-catching as you put it. My sulcatas are all friendly, but they are very wary and alert when nesting. If they see movement nearby (like me trying to snap a photo) they cease digging, watch me, and wait for me to leave to resume. I can only get to about 40 feet away without them stopping, but even then they watch me like a hawk. Does your big girl do this?

Katherine

5 Year Member
I wish I could say yes or no for sure; but like I said I too leave them alone so I am not sure : / I have one who digs 3-4 dummy nests before laying for real and so if I see her digging I always 'sneak' up on her to check for extroversion of the oviduct or eggs so I know if I should excavate later or not; and she never seems to mind/notice me but I've seen another stop digging and act defensively when my dogs were roughhousing/being loud about 20 ft from her. They generally nest up against the enclosure wall so its fairly easy for me to loop the enclosure incognito and check on their business but sticking my hand in there seems too risky. My fear is exactly as u said; that they will spook! I'd be a wreck if one ever got eggbound or something just because I was curious and/or impatient so I much prefer the muddy, labor intensive " wait and dig " approach : )

Vicki2x2

5 Year Member
I am new to torts, but with chickens, we melt candle wax and spread it over the crack to seal it.

Katherine

5 Year Member
Vicki2x2 said:
I am new to torts, but with chickens, we melt candle wax and spread it over the crack to seal it.

So many new things to try! I only got one clutch since posting it and there was only one egg so I went with a triple antibiotic and syranwrap patch; I will def give all of these a try in time though-never would have though of wax! Thanks : )

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Sulcata Eggs will NEVER hatch if cracked or damaged in any way........

Up the calcium intake, and the problem will go away.......I've had this problem with just about every Adult Female I've acquired - Sulcata Eggs are definately different than any other species.......Most other Tortoise Eggs can be repaired, these guys can't........

Katherine

5 Year Member
EricIvins said:

Up the calcium intake, and the problem will go away.......I've had this problem with just about every Adult Female I've acquired - Sulcata Eggs are definately different than any other species.......Most other Tortoise Eggs can be repaired, these guys can't........

This has been my experience too; I have yet to successfully hatch one and I always incubate them separate from healthy eggs anticipating their demise. I intend to keep experimenting though (however futile it may be ; ) ) thanks for the Ca advice!

Katherine

5 Year Member
UPDATE:
THINGS THAT DEFINITELY DID NOT WORK:
triple antibiotic ointment and syran wrap (no development)
Superglue (no development )

Things that WORKED INITIALLY but FAILED later in incubation:
packed with mud from the nest site (development stopped 30-60 days in)
(one of these eggs is still developing but several others have failed)

THINGS THAT APPEAR TO BE WORKING GREAT:
packing the crack/hole with a generous amount of sterile petroleum jelly
(still a few weeks left before hatching but this definitely allowed the egg to develop unhindered and in sync with the others)

Things still on my to try list if I ever get another cracked egg:
Freezer tape

anyways I appreciated all your advice so thought I would keep you posted with the outcomes!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
EricIvins said:

Eric, so often you post these short, matter of fact statements, and you are usually 100% correct. In this case you are 100% wrong. I have hatched several that were cracked or damaged. In my incubators the hatch rate for cracked eggs is about the same as for non-cracked eggs, as long as the INNER membrane is still intact. jaizei posted the proof for you back in post #2. Here's the link again:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Delores-Eggs-Hatching#axzz1fWek6ZRj
You can clearly see the baby pipping out of a broken egg. This egg was at the top of the nest and I broke it with my finger tips while digging them up. It was smashed in two places. This is not a unique experience for me. It happens regularly.

Oh, I mean cracked eggs hatching, NOT me clumsily cracking my own eggs... :D

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Yes, this last year I had a clutch of sulcata eggs laid with about 6 or 8 of them cracked or dinged. I put the cracked ones in a separate container (in case they went bad, it wouldn't spoil the good eggs) and all but one of them hatched. I didn't do anything to them besides orient the "dent" to the top side (they were dug up immediately after hatching). We have rocky ground here too, and usually the cracked eggs I find are the first ones laid (bottom of the pile), probably landed on a rock or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.