Cracked Plastron

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianA123

5 Year Member
I need some help. I have a 1 year old sulcata. I recently noticed that he has what seems to be a cracked plastron between the pectoral scutes and the abdominal scutes. I have not seen him dropped or pressed on be anyone or thing. He is still pretty small for his age. Is there anyway to help that shell. I don't see any discoloration that would indicate dead shell. His plastron is still soft in other places, but when touched this moves inward slightly. I have not noticed a big change in his attitude or appetite. We mostly feed him spring mix and dandelions from the yard. I have tried some timothy hay but he has not been too interested in that. Could someone please help me out.

I attached a picture of his shell that I took tonight. The section in question is the "joint" below my thumb. Any help would be greatly appreciated. First time tortoise owner. Still way new to this thing. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 2013-05-30 21.07.54.jpg
    2013-05-30 21.07.54.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 220

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I don't see the crack you are talking about. One thing I did notice is how scronny his arms and legs are. Does he ever get any outside time to roam and exercise? Also, do you soak him regularly? Perhaps you can take a better picture of the crack.

BrianA123

5 Year Member
The crack is right along the joint. It isn't really visible unless it is touched. I didn't try to take a picture of that because I don't want to damage it more by playing around with it. Is it normal for the scutes to not be fully attached at this age. Maybe I just haven't noticed it before, but I'm pretty sure this is new. He has a 2'x4' area to roam in an inside enclosure. He does get some time outside, but not as much as I would like and do plan on doing that more. I soak him about once a day for 15-20 min.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Do you mean that the shell is not connected all around on the growth lines???? or do you mean the shell is peeling away?

Have you offered this little one any mazuri tortoise food? How often do you offer food and is the pile of food equal to his entire size? I would offer him food two or three times a day and let him eat as much as he wants until you plump him up some---he does appear a bit streamline....

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mazuri would be good to feed to help plump him up a little. You can also feed optunia cactus, broadleaf greens like mustard, kale, endive, also, hibiscus, mulberry leave. There are also lots you can look for on the tortoisetable.org. I don't really know what to tell you about the crack except be sure to keep it clean and keep an eye on it. If it gets worse, a vet visit would be a good idea.

BrianA123

5 Year Member
ascott, yeah it looks like the growth lines are not connected that the point I described. Do cracked shells ever heal or is the shell like a fingernail and once they are cracked they are cracked for good?

I feed him at least once a day with the pile at least his same size. I just ordered some Mazuri. What is the best method of feeding to him?

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Bondo and duck tape! In fact cement works!

Dude I'm kidding... Take her to the vet...

http://youtu.be/kYtb8FshpbU

This for turtles but I guest it can be done on tort... NOT SURE...I did see one on YouTube about a tort but can't find it. I'm using my phone.

But take her to the vet to have it done properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.