Cracks in shell

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Thank you for the idea. I think I will build a long rectangle box along the perimeter of my basement wall.
That way she has a lot of room & it doesn't take up much room in my basement room.
Will that be okay if the width is only about 1-2 ft, but the length be very long (length of room)? Like 12 ft or so.
Where do I get light stands like that? At the pet store?
The pet store told me she was a female. Plus someone else told me she was as well; she looked at her underside/tail.
My nephew told me to mount the temperature sensor at the bottom of the glass (outside/underneath), which I did.
I use to have it at the bottom of the subtrate, but the duck tape would come undone & she would get tangled in it occasionally.
Hello and welcome. 2 by 12 foot is only 24 square feet. The minimum size for a Russian is 4 by 8 foot. That's 32 square feet. So a 3 by 12 foot would be 36 square feet and way better. I have a little Russian 🤗. He gets leafy greens every day in a pile bigger than him. He doesn't always eat everything but I want it there and available if he's hungry. He would be able to do that in the wild. I will sprinkle calcium powder with a bit of D3 on LIGHTLY now and then and mix it up in the greens. Soaks are good. Once in awhile I'll use a LITTLE bit of extra virgin coconut oil on his shell and make sure I buff it off really good afterwards. The threads here will help more than me It's a lot to take in. Best hopes and prayers for your little April 🤗

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Hello and welcome. 2 by 12 foot is only 24 square feet. The minimum size for a Russian is 4 by 8 foot. That's 32 square feet. So a 3 by 12 foot would be 36 square feet and way better. I have a little Russian 🤗. He gets leafy greens every day in a pile bigger than him. He doesn't always eat everything but I want it there and available if he's hungry. He would be able to do that in the wild. I will sprinkle calcium powder with a bit of D3 on LIGHTLY now and then and mix it up in the greens. Soaks are good. Once in awhile I'll use a LITTLE bit of extra virgin coconut oil on his shell and make sure I buff it off really good afterwards. The threads here will help more than me It's a lot to take in. Best hopes and prayers for your little April 🤗
Thanks for double checking the math. Very good point!

kakashi_12

Erie
Since I am building my own enclosure & keeping it indoors, do I have to close the top with a net???
If I don't, will mice hurt her?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Since I am building my own enclosure & keeping it indoors, do I have to close the top with a net???
With an adult Russian I don't put a top on my indoor enclosure. The walls are however 12" tall and I don't get mice in the house. My outdoor enclosure for Sapphire does have lids though and I use hardware cloth on them with a 1/2" grid. I never leave him outside through the night because it actually gets pretty cool at night where I live. Plus I don't feel comfortable if he's not where I can check on him easily. I'm probably over protective.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
You want a rodent proof enclosure for sure. You can probably buy premade screens and hinge them on to whatever you build. Your tort enclosure would be appealing to rodents: warm, dry, good burrowing material…

I have rats where I live and worry about them for my outdoor enclosure

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I don't know if you can tell from the picture what I did for lids. I use 1x2" to build a framework for the lids and cover them with hardware cloth. I would be afraid to use just regular screen or even chicken wire outdoors. I put them on the enclosure with door hinges. They also have a clasp for a little padlock hehehe if I'm not going to be home. I don't trust predators or my tortoise. He's not going anywhere if I can help it 😉😊IMG_20230510_180526722_HDR.jpg

kakashi_12

Erie
My neighbor always told me to give her a bath weekly, but never said to do it with warm water. I was just pouring 3-5 cups of cold water over the top of her before.
Not sure that I'm going to mess with checking temperature of the water (as you suggested in your post). But I just gave her her 1st bath warm bath today (as you suggested). And I changed the water every 10 minutes to keep it warm. She definitely pooped in the water both times. haha.
Not sure if I'll gradually see the change in the cracks or what...

zolasmum

5 Year Member
The humidity and the baths will help her new shell growth to be better, and if you keep on with the soaking, all the surface will improve. When I give Zola calcium, I always rub it in to some favourite food, and then he doesn't notice it at all.
Angie

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
What does warm

What linked file?

Love? I thought russian tortoises didn't want attention. From what I read, they are use to being in solitude. Not that I don't want to give her love and attention, just trying to follow directions...

Lately, I've been using half "Eco Earth loose coconut fiber" subtrate & half "Coco Husk coconut fiber" subtrate.
Half on 1 side & half on the other side.

I also recently downsized the UVB (FOR A REASON), because the one that the pet shop originally sold to me protrudes the light fixture. Therefore, instead of being able to conveniently place the light on top of the tank, I have to hang it from inside, which makes it near impossible to open without the light falling off several times.
Thread 4 has links

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
My neighbor always told me to give her a bath weekly, but never said to do it with warm water. I was just pouring 3-5 cups of cold water over the top of her before.
Not sure that I'm going to mess with checking temperature of the water (as you suggested in your post). But I just gave her her 1st bath warm bath today (as you suggested). And I changed the water every 10 minutes to keep it warm. She definitely pooped in the water both times. haha.
Not sure if I'll gradually see the change in the cracks or

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Warm water soaks are important as they are cold Blooded so warmth gets them active. Soaking in shallow warm water in a high sided container is great for hydration, exercise and waste. It will not fix cracks as that is calcium snd environment driven so ensure cuttle fish is provided 24 x7 and calcium added to fresh leaves.

kakashi_12

Erie
cuttle fish? What is that & where do I get it?
Here are some updated pictures. She just got out of the bath. I don't see much improvement...

Attachments

• tort1.jpg
    tort1.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 2
  • tort2.jpg
    tort2.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 3
  • tort3.jpg
    tort3.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 3
  • tort4.jpg
    tort4.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 3

kakashi_12

Erie
Thanks. But how much do I give her?
So it's calcium supplement then...

What about my pictures. Do you notice improvement?

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
it is a calcium supplement and they just free feed on it. replace it once its gone. My tortoise has never touched one in a year+ though, so yours may not go for it.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thanks. But how much do I give her?
So it's calcium supplement then...

What about my pictures. Do you notice improvement?
Re the pix: The shell looks somewhat better now, seeing that it is less dry, but it will actually take many months for healthier new growth to manifest itself. IE, it won't be an obvious overnight change, but will occur gradually as new shell is formed over time.

I recommend soaking your tortoise at least once daily for 3-4 months, then you can cut back to 2-3 times weekly for its lifetime. They need to stay well hydrated to be in the best of health and condition.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
You mentioned that you thought tortoises were solitary animals - this is absolutely true when it comes to other tortoises, but over time, many are able to develop a bond with their carer.We have had Zola for 20+ years, and he is used to being with us - we started by occasional hand feeeding, and in time moved on to stroking his head etc, and handling him gently - he definitely enjoys our company - and, of course, we enjoy his ! He can behave in what I can only describe as an affectionate way, even when no food is involved !
April will come to enjoy attention from you, I think, over time, which will be good for both of you
Best wishes from Angie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That bulb you changed out because it protruded from the fixture. . . did you get the same type only smaller? The cracks may have happened with the old bulb, but if the new bulb is the same kind, it may be bad too. Those type bulbs are too intense and they tend to burn the sensitive new growth (what you perceive as cracks).

kakashi_12

Erie
@zovick Thank you very much for the specific advice & encouragement. :)

@zolasmum <3 awwwe

@Yvonne G yes, but smaller also means less wattage (or at least in my case).
Good to know it is actuall new growth & not cracks. Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@zovick Thank you very much for the specific advice & encouragement. :)

@zolasmum <3 awwwe

@Yvonne G yes, but smaller also means less wattage (or at least in my case).
Good to know it is actuall new growth & not cracks. Thanks.
It IS new growth that has been burned by the high intensity of the light.