Craigslist add...$2200? Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
It is just crazy to think anyone would pay that for a grown sully. Poor guy...he's not the healthiest I've seen either. Has pyramiding too.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I didn't think he looked too bad, not in tip top shape, but decent.
Seen many CL tort pix here that are disasters.

Sandy in Oregon

No kids, no husband, just critters and I'm happy.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
sibi said:
It is just crazy to think anyone would pay that for a grown sully. Poor guy...he's not the healthiest I've seen either. Has pyramiding too.

What health problems does he have?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is a pet peeve of mine. People like this one inflate the price of their tortoises and it gives the unscrupulous few big ideas about stealing tortoises.

One can ask any price they like when going to sell an animal...and MAYBE there's someone out there willing to pay it. I just hope it doesn't give thieves big ideas.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't see anything wrong with the tortoise. I just don't know in what universe a 24", run of the mill, regular old male sulcata would go for $2200. He's a nice looking one so maybe if they removed a zero, we'd be more in the ball park. Around here they are given away for free as a matter of course. Usually the people are just glad to see them go to a good home.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Oy people-people-people. Boil-me-blood. Cute sulcata but not 2200 bucks cute. Profiteering. Not saying this particular ad, but people on craigslist do flip pets and many of the flippers just wanna make a profit. It's cash, and only cash for them. Perhaps this one was bought for 200 and now they added a zero hoping some uninformed sucker with a lot of money will come along and give it to them. Ugggh.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I'm glad I'm not the only one pissy about this. I'm tempted to offer nothing and just taken him off their hands

Sandy in Oregon

No kids, no husband, just critters and I'm happy.

Yamaha4x4_19

5 Year Member
St. Louis
I'm tempted to email their add just to tell them how ridiculous their price is lol I would never pay more than $500 for an adult male Sulcata and that's probably even too much. More so worth probably around $300.

felicia9211

5 Year Member
Is that just for the tortoise or are they including other items with him?

Sent from my GT-P5113 using TortForum mobile app

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
He looks good. Not $2,200 "good" :p

Sulcatas are falling from the sky around here. Our Clubs can hardly give them away for free!

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
felicia9211 said:
Is that just for the tortoise or are they including other items with him?

Sent from my GT-P5113 using TortForum mobile app

The only item worth anything with a big sulcata is acreage. Are they giving away land with it for that price?

dds7155

5 Year Member
I dont understand why people are still breeding Sulcata,,, in ten years from now most of these cute little hatching that people are building these cute tables for that they out grow in 2 years will be in passed from home to home or dead, it's sad to me ,,but that just my opinion,,,,,

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Perhaps the person who bought that $8000.00 "leucistic" redfoot we saw a few weeks ago will open up the coffers again and spring for this guy? lol...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TortForum mobile app

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
It's a nice looking tortoise, big boy! I mean I would never pay 2200 for him but you never know only takes one person to pay 2000-2200 might take years or personally I don't think it will ever happen, but who knows maybe the wife said we gotta sell the tortoise so he posted it at 2200 so no one would buy it lol. Or on a more real note, maybe someone who just doesn't know how many sulcatas need home and how many sulcatas there are, or how makes are with less cuz they don't reproduce like females, or just cuz it's a big tortoise it doesn't mean it's worth more.... We on the forums know a tad bit more info and price range for tortoises and turtles, we are weird. Lol but I mean I just hope he does go to a good permeant home, cuz he sure a beauty and deserves it

Check out my site and channel:
Www.tortoise-spot.webs.com
Www.youtube.com/tortoisespot

lightsout2184

5 Year Member
sibi said:

I love ur high standards but tort looks pretty healthy. Thats also hardly any pyramiding compared to any tortoise on craigslist or for adoption.

dds7155 said:
I dont understand why people are still breeding Sulcata,,, in ten years from now most of these cute little hatching that people are building these cute tables for that they out grow in 2 years will be in passed from home to home or dead, it's sad to me ,,but that just my opinion,,,,,

Same obvious reason that anyone does anything.......money. As long as people buy the babies there will be someone breeding them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
dds7155 said:

Thats what they said ten years ago, and ten years before that. You have been misinformed by the anti-breeding crowd. Its not all doom and gloom. I have seen hundreds of well loved, well cared for sulcatas in my many travels, and thats not even counting the hundreds on this forum that I've seen over the years. And the "rescues" are not "overflowing" with unwanted pets. The rescues that have more than a few, have them because of their ridiculous policies and fees. Put an ad on your local craigs list for a free one, or even a cheap one, and watch how fast it gets snapped up. Throw in revocation contracts, yard inspections, and "adoption fees" in the hundreds, and you will hear nothing but crickets in response to your ads.

Personally, I breed them so that people will be able to get a well started, healthy baby, instead of the typical dry and dehydrated ones. They are a great species, relatively easy to care for and feed, and have fantastic personalities. I can assure you that its not about money for me. The money is nice. It covers part of the cost of caring for my herds, but I'm not gettin' rich from selling sulcata babies, let me tell you.

It is sad when we see ignorant or apathetic people mistreating any animal of any species, but I don't think this relates to sulcatas any more than any other species of chelonian. Red ear sliders might be an exception, but that would be it.

lightsout2184 said:
Same obvious reason that anyone does anything.......money. As long as people buy the babies there will be someone breeding them.

This is an extremely negative, and largely incorrect assumption. There is not a single sulcata breeder on this forum that matches your description of us. Not a one of us is breeding for money. We breed because we love the species and want others to be able to share in the joy. Recouping a small amount of money in the process does not constitute greed and none of us make a living from it, NOT that there would be anything wrong with it if we did. There are a lot of forum members, family and friends that have received FREE sulcatas from me, so please don't paint us all with the same brush.

Status
Not open for further replies.