Craigslist Hermans Tortoise update and help need as well

Tito17

I recently rescued a Hermans tortoise on Craigslist. The people who I obtain the tortoise had him in a glass aquarium and he looked like he was in good shape. When I brought him home I put him in a 50 gallon storage bin with a heat lamp while I was building his outdoor home,he was fine. He ate all his food and he looked really health. A few days later I put him in an outdoor enclosure and I noticed my tort stopped eating he would just hide under a rock burrow I made for him. Yesterday I put him inside again to watch the little guy and started eating again, I don't know why he's doing this, ImageUploadedByTortForum1397942472.460696.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1397942506.743180.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1397942525.910014.jpgany ideas ?? I live in so cal btw

tortnmutt

Location (City and/or State)
Washington Coast
Overwhelmed? I've read it takes some a while longer to adjust. My RT is the same way. Due to where I live he doesn't go out often and hides when he does, I believe because he's nervous.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
You have already improved his life amazingly.
However, he was used to a glass tank (sadly). So changing to a Rubbermaid isn't too much of a stretch.
But he may never have been outside. Endless sky. Wind. Birds. This is completely new, and while ultimately very good for him, it will taking some adjusting. At first he will hide a lot, perhaps for weeks. Eventually he will bask and be less timid.
Perhaps get him established inside for a few weeks, with a good diet, hydration and UV?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Does the outside pen have plenty of sunshine? What time of day were you offering him food? My Hermann's come out in the morning, bank themselves against a rock or log and spend quite a while warming up in the sunshine. Then they start eating. Even when it's been nice and warm (like it has been here in So Cal) if they don't have that direct sunlight to warm up first, they may not eat.

Tito17

Yea the sun rises on the side of my yard where I keep my Russians and my Hermans, and I don't have the same problems with my Russains, the only time my Russians go back to there burrows is when the sun goes down. I've also seen my Hermans bask at the entrance of his burrow

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
When I move mine out they take a while to adjust, sometimes it's a few days, sometimes over a week.

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
It takes a while to get to the outdoors adjusted. The UV is different, the ground and everything is foreign to the guy. My dalmatians need to adjust still too outside and they hide.