Craigslist rescue, Dozer

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
I'm reasonably sure the tortoise exists and that the guy is legit, so I'm taking a drive today to see how things, most notably the tort, look... I've taken steps to protect myself from scamming and robbery, and hope that I end up just feeling foolish for doubting my fellow man so much.

I hope to post some pics and an update tomorrow, but I don't want to say more now for fear of jinxing things...

Jamie

Last edited:

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Yay, a lot smaller than I thought. Don't know what the guy was thinking if he thought that size was too much.
He also recently had a triple bypass and is trimming stuff from his life, moving out of his house and onto a boat... I think I'll live with Dozer for 6 months or a year before finding him a home with a better keeper in a better location.

Jamie

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He also recently had a triple bypass and is trimming stuff from his life, moving out of his house and onto a boat... I think I'll live with Dozer for 6 months or a year before finding him a home with a better keeper in a better location.

Jamie
Oh, that's understandable then.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I'm so glad it was you that got that adorable tortoise. You have some fun times coming 😉 I'm pretty sure you'll get a book out of it 😁😁 I like it that you have plenty of time to play in the meantime 🙂

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
PXL_20230530_120241162~2.jpg

Dozer has been with me nearly two weeks and seems to be settling into his new life here in NH.

I give him a 30 minute soak every morning, while I prep his food for the day and clean his enclosure.

The soak, plus the high humidity in his essentially sealed enclosure should help to prevent any worsening of the pyramiding that got started in his previous life.

After not eating much in the first week here, he's begun stepping up... I give him a mix each day of greens and weeds and flowers and squash and zucchini and Mazuri and seaweed.

He feels more dense when I pick him up then when I first met him, and I'm hopeful that I can get him outside during an upcoming hot spell.

Jamie

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh yes, for sure get him outside.
Can't believe a guy in a trailer thought that a giant tortoise was a good purchase. Was he living on property and not a trailer park at least? That would make more sense.