Crapping on FOR SALE posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Do we have or can we have a forum rule against "crapping" on someone's "for sale" post.

I am a member on many different sites, not just tortoise sites, and most of them have some sort of rule about other people posting comments and or remarks in a for sale thread.

If you are not asking a specific question about the animal for sale or sale terms then it should not be allowed to be in that thread.

Other types of comments should be reserved for the "discussion" threads.

Other wise why have a separate areas for sale items vs. discussion.

I'll get off my box now.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
CGKeith said:
If you are not asking a specific question about the animal for sale or sale terms then it should not be allowed to be in that thread.

I agree with this statement. We could turn off replies in that forum altogether and everything would have to be done via PM or email...

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I like that we can post in the classified sections. I am a member on different forums, and they are locked and you have to do all the contacting by email. I like the thread way better. Plus, if its a scam or if the seller has GREAT animals, you can see that from the comments. Look at Danny's for sale thread on Jordanian Greeks. I'm sure that was some positive PR for him for sure!

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
I think the replies are good in general too but what happened on Tyler's thread is ridiculous. That's not the right place for that discussion.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
I don't mind people being able to post, when the post is relevant to the items for sale. I don't think an old (closed) debate should be carried over into someone's post.

I also don't think that (for example) when someone is offering Mazuri for sale, that 3 other people can get in the thread and offer their own for sale at a lower price, or tell the potential customers that they can buy it at some feed stores. If you want to sell your own Mazuri, start your own thread. If you want to tell everyone where they can buy the same thing at a lower price, start your own thread.

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
Possitive feedback is way different that going off on a tangent about whether it is not ethical to sell certain species.

That is "crapping", period.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
True. I would like a few guidelines actually written up so that the only comments made in the thread, are relevant questions about the animal being sold. But I don't want the option of writing in those threads taken away. I like that.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I think classified ads should be reserved for advertising, not commenting good, bad or otherwise. Questions that would benefit anyone looking at the ad such as the animals gender, size, etc that directly pertain to the animal(s) being sold, wanted or adopted could be posted. Specific questions such as how much is shipping to zip code XXXXX or will you consider a trade for such and such animals should be asked privately since that specific of an answer may not apply to everyone.
One of the many forum sections is the place to voice other concerns.
It's tough to leave it up to people to use good judgement, because everyone's definition of it is different.

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
One of my favorite aspects of this forum is that people will call you out when you're doing something wrong. I think interfering with that in any way would be detrimental to the people learning here.
I can see how it might upset someone looking to make a profit- but is this forum about making money off of tortoises, or taking care of them?

Just my two cents, I know most of you will disagree.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Dang. I saw the title of this thread and thought it would be a story about Bob having escaped his pen to leave another amazing telekinetic turd on a signpost in the yard.

M

Maggie Cummings

Keep it up and you will end up with Bob when I leave...lol!!!

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Kayti said:
One of my favorite aspects of this forum is that people will call you out when you're doing something wrong. I think interfering with that in any way would be detrimental to the people learning here.
I can see how it might upset someone looking to make a profit- but is this forum about making money off of tortoises, or taking care of them?

I'd like to know what exactly I was "doing wrong (in your words)" by posting a list of tortoises I have for sale IN THE CLASSIFIEDS SECTION of the forum?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I agree with Meg. If there was able to be feedback on another forum, I wouldn't have gotten scammed for $100. Unfortunately after I sent my money and got nothing for it, and then posted about it, people who got scammed by this person started to post about it on other forums too. You could put up some rules for the classified section, but to close it for the comments would not help the people looking to buy from that poster.

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
Kayti said:

Making a profit???? Such an evil word in a free market society.

I have been keeping and breeding reptiles for over 15 years, to include many types of snakes, lizards and tortoises. Considering what it costs me to keep them and provide proper care (food, housing, vet bills, etc..)for them I don't think I have ever made a profit.

I guess we should do away with the "for sale" section and just have the "give away" section.

If you don't foster the captive breeding and selling market then it will create a larger demand for wild caught.

So...where did your animals come from????

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
CGKeith said:

I have been keeping and breeding reptiles for over 15 years, to include many types of snakes, lizards and tortoises. Considering what it costs me to keep them and provide proper care (food, housing, vet bills, etc..)for them I don't think I have ever made a profit.

I guess we should do away with the "for sale" section and just have the "give away" section.

If you don't foster the captive breeding and selling market then it will create a larger demand for wild caught.

How do I give reputation points? It's nice to see the occasional someone with common sense around here.

The people without a good argument or good point to make often refer to the fact that money is changing hands as a way to criminalize the situation. "Greedy breeder... It's all about money."

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We (that is to say, the Moderators and Josh) are talking about having the For Sale threads going through a moderator just like the Upcoming Shows have to. Then the mod would approve the thread and close it at the same time. That way only the initial thread, posted by the person doing the selling, will show up on the thread.

(And I apologize to Tyler for adding to the "crapping" on his thread)

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
TylerStewart said:
Kayti said:

I'd like to know what exactly I was "doing wrong (in your words)" by posting a list of tortoises I have for sale IN THE CLASSIFIEDS SECTION of the forum?

I didn't mention you at all. I don't even know you, and I certainly have never posted in one of your classifieds threads.

When I said 'doing wrong' I was mostly referring to scammers, like people selling sick animals, non-existent animals, etc.
And again, I get that allowing freedom of speech is bad for business.

In your case, I do think people seeing cute pictures of baby Sulcatas for sale online need to see the people below those cute pictures talking about what they might be getting into.
Why would you want to sell to people who can't read critical posts and still want a tortoise?
And it's not like they're going to decide to buy from someone else because they see "crap" in your for-sale thread. .

CGKeith said:
Kayti said:

My Sulcata is a rescue from a stupid breeder selling wholesale to a stupid chain pet store who sold her to a child living in an apartment. Her sibling died before I got her, and it took me months and LOTS of vet bills to get her to where she is now.
I don't care if you make a profit, I care if your actions harm/kill the tortoises you create.
And btw, it is totally possible to make money and still be responsible.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Kayti said:
My Sulcata is a rescue from a stupid breeder selling wholesale to a stupid chain pet store who sold her to a child living in an apartment. Her sibling died before I got her, and it took me months and LOTS of vet bills to get her to where she is now.
I don't care if you make a profit, I care if your actions harm/kill the tortoises you create.
And btw, it is totally possible to make money and still be responsible

Wow, what a great summary of the position the vast majority of TFO people likely support. Well said!;)

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Kayti said:
And btw, it is totally possible to make money and still be responsible.

What does this have to do with crapping on someone's thread? Was there someone on here posting things for sale in this forum that you think deserved this?

If you just want to rant about mistreated sulcatas, start a new thread, or add to one of the many that already exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.