Crapping on FOR SALE posts

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

Alright everyone...it is a moderators job to tell you to stay on the subject, which is crapping/hijacking a for sale ad thread...we don't need everyone now screaming about free speech. Stay on the topic, or I will close the thread.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Just out of curiosity, is "crapping" an official computer term? I find that word offensive. Wouldn't it be better to use "hijacking?"

You all can't say you haven't been warned. None of you seemed to like it when I closed threads last week. You've now been warned by two moderators, Jacqui and Maggie. I think this is way over-kill on the warnings.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
emysemys said:
Just out of curiosity, is "crapping" an official computer term? I find that word offensive. Wouldn't it be better to use "hijacking?"

You all can't say you haven't been warned. None of you seemed to like it when I closed threads last week. You've now been warned by two moderators, Jacqui and Maggie. I think this is way over-kill on the warnings.

What are we being warned about? No tempers are flaring. Everyone is calm. It appears we are back to the subject of the thread.

I think "crapping" could be used for when someone, for example, offers their own similar product in your thread at a lower price. Someone would be "leaving their mark" and walking away, like a dog crapping on your lawn.

"Hijacking" would be a more appropriate term when someone, for example, brings up an old debate into someone's for sale thread like you and Candy did, or when someone just changes the subject entirely within a thread that has nothing to do with it.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I know I am a little late to give my opinion but here it is :)
I dont find nothing wrong if someone wants to put a comment or whatever on a sale/ad thread, why would it be wrong?? Trying to sell something at a lower price in a sale thread is not correct but put a comment should be allowed.
Let's not forget that on this forum, all we want is the best for the tortoises :)

M

Maggie Cummings

TylerStewart said:
emysemys said:

What are we being warned about? No tempers are flaring. Everyone is calm. It appears we are back to the subject of the thread.

I think "crapping" could be used for when someone, for example, offers their own similar product in your thread at a lower price. Someone would be "leaving their mark" and walking away, like a dog crapping on your lawn.

"Hijacking" would be a more appropriate term when someone, for example, brings up an old debate into someone's for sale thread like you and Candy did, or when someone just changes the subject entirely within a thread that has nothing to do with it.

I gave a warning because the topic went from 'crapping' to the anti-Sulcata rant, then after my warning others felt they had to whine about free speech. The topic is crapping on a sales ad and after all the ranting and whining and screaming about organization and keeping on topic by others I am saying either keep on the topic of crapping or I will close the thread.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Isa said:
I dont find nothing wrong if someone wants to put a comment or whatever on a sale/ad thread, why would it be wrong?? Trying to sell something at a lower price in a sale thread is not correct but put a comment should be allowed.
Let's not forget that on this forum, all we want is the best for the tortoises :)

I agree absolutely with your post. If someone has had dealings with a poster on a classified ad, they should state what they are, so that the person looking to purchase from them will know if these people are reliable or not. I wish that someone had done that for me when I was scammed.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas :D Tis' the season and all :p

Just felt the need for a bit of Christmas levity ;)

Danny

S

stells

bah humbug....

Just need your beard to go abit whiter and then you could pass for Father Christmas.... its nearly there lol xxxxx

oops sorry Maggie i went offtopic :(

egyptiandan said:
Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas :D Tis' the season and all :p

Just felt the need for a bit of Christmas levity ;)

Danny

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
So is "crapping" on a for sale post when you make any comment not related to the thread, or is it putting your own view either against or for an animal in a thread ie " anti sulc"? I am not familiar with the term "crapping" (sorry for using it so much) forum lingo wise. "crapping" is a new term for me.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
What about adding a feedback subsection in classified forum so that buyers (and sellers) can let members know of their satisfaction level with a transaction? Whether it be from purchases with members or from other sources. Sort of a good guy-bad guy list. I think this could be beneficial not only to potential buyers but also to sellers too. Possibly even a rating system based on key points too like communication, how well the animals were packed for shipping, if the animal was exactly as described or pictured, etc...

This way buyers and sellers can be forewarned with dealing with someone by simply checking comments and rating on the person and not have to interfere with the ad thread.

As far as personal opinions on whether a certain species should be produced and sold I don't feel that the subject should be allowed in a person's ad thread. Isn't that what the "Debatable Topics" section is for? Or take it up with the person by PM or Email.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
terryo said:
Isa said:

I agree absolutely with your post. If someone has had dealings with a poster on a classified ad, they should state what they are, so that the person looking to purchase from them will know if these people are reliable or not. I wish that someone had done that for me when I was scammed.

I don't think anyone is against the ability to leave comments or ask questions pertaining to the ad. I also don't know that anyone cares if you were to comment about a good or bad comment about the seller (if you had been burned by the person, it might be justified to say so there), but that's all different than "crapping," which in general, has nothing to do with the for sale thread.

DMMJ- I'm not sure it's a real term meant to be defined, it just makes sense as it was used, since the thread is being "crapped on," like I described in my last post (dog crapping on your lawn and walking away, leaving pointless and/or irrelevant information there).

GBTorts- It's not a bad idea, but somewhat dangerous if it was used incorrectly. For example, EJ and I would be rated as bad guys simply because many people here think with emotions rather than rational thoughts, or heaven forbid, fact. ;) If done, it should all be fact based, and only from people that have dealt in a real deal with the person.

Homer

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
I am saying either keep on the topic of crapping or I will close the thread.

Oh, I am so easily amused. Not sure how often a moderator has had to utter those words.

Brian

M

Maggie Cummings

Homer said:
maggie3fan said:
I am saying either keep on the topic of crapping or I will close the thread.

Oh, I am so easily amused. Not sure how often a moderator has had to utter those words.

Brian

OMG! I didn't even realize...how much fun is that!!! I could almost give myself a warning...glad I could make you laugh...

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I was laughing so hard I woke my husband up. He wasn't too happy!!!
Maggie, you sure are a pistol!!
Patsy

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
New rules have been posted in the Classified Ads section of the forum. :D

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.