Crazy tortoise

thetortoiseguy

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1388164256.611741.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1388164352.259257.jpg my Russian tortoises behaviour has been terrible for the last few days he can't stop knocking things over and creating hazards for himself I have been giving him warm baths letting him free to roam around the house and I was whatching him and still no Change please help

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
What are your enclosure temps? In the pic, that red heat bulb seems really close to the tort (again, could simply be the angle of the pic ;))....approximately what size is the tort? approximately what size is the enclosure? and are you sure you have a male?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'll bet your habitat is too small. Plus, once you've allowed them out of the habitat to see the 'world' they're never satisfied to be 'contained' again.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Whats the weather like where you live? Any chance of getting him outside where he'll have more space to burn off some of that excess energy?

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Add a ramp and a partial 2nd story to give him more space and additional exercise.

Get a temperature gun and check the temperatures across the entire enclosure. Basking spot needs to be 95 degrees low side needs to be 70 to 75 degrees daytime. At night temperature can drop into the low to mid 60's.

Good luck.

mattyd

Hi
My tortoise also has had funny behaviour recently , I built my tortoise an enclosure and it has a small ramp to a sleeping part. My tortoise has been for a while now going and sleeping underneath and sort of trying to through or burry itself. Any suggestion? It sounds pretty similar really.

Kele7710

5 Year Member
It's natural to bury themselves but make sure temps are good :)

bextort

5 Year Member
Hi I have a Russian too and had similar problems when I first got her. Over time and with help from forum I discovered she loves digging and burying herself and also that she is sooo inquisitive and generally enjoys exploring and being quite mischievous. She will turn her plants over walk away and fall asleep, I will put my hand in and place them upright an she will immediately wake up and knock and dig them over again. I would make sure your tort has the depth and substate to be able to dig and bury. You may find it keeps it away from other potential dangerous spots and causing havoc haha :)

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
you don't need added heat for a Russian unless your house gets below 60°, which it shouldn't. you need a daylight basking and a uvb bulb and maybe other lights simply for added light, not heat. if you tort is restless at night it's probably because he's too hot. they benefit from a drop in temperature around 60°. if it's during the day he just wants more room. unfortunately Russian tortoises require a lot of walking room and become restless if kept in a small enclosure. adding a second story could help, my Russian loved to climb the ramp. and if he's too hot you could try pouring some water into the corner of your enclosure. that way the bottom of the substrate will get wet without the top being soaked.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
He could just be a home wrecker... no, seriously, I'd check temps. Something is not making him happy about his housing. How long have you had him? I think he's either too hot or too cold. Also, with the red light on at night, he may be exhausted from not sleeping well because of the light. I'd also check humidity...maybe there's too much of it.