Creating a closed chamber with what I currently have

JustLivingLife714

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
I have 2 tortoises. I need to create closed chambers for both for the mean time until my new enclosures are built. Help with some ideas for the small and long enclosure plz. I been searching.

20181202_181739.jpg 20181202_181732.jpg

daniellenc

Maryland
Are the sides screen as well or just the top? You can build a cheap pvc pipe structure and use a shower curtain or greenhouse cover to cover it without the cover touching the CHE. Take a look at other enclosures on here there are so many ideas!!

drew54

Indiana
The uvb is essentially useless on top of mesh. It blocks so much of the needed uvb light. You could easily add some support to the screen and zip tie the uvb on the underside of the mesh.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You could very easily make that top into a closed chamber top.
But you WILL need to mount the UVB either to the underside, or suspended (by little chains?) From the top. That might require you raising the center portion of the top. As stated previously UVB gets broken up trying to pass through screen. And is almost 100% blocked by glass and plexiglass.

JustLivingLife714

5 Year Member
California
The uvb is essentially useless on top of mesh. It blocks so much of the needed uvb light. You could easily add some support to the screen and zip tie the uvb on the underside of the mesh.

Are u talking about both enclosures? I have 2 different ones.

JustLivingLife714

5 Year Member
California
Are the sides screen as well or just the top? You can build a cheap pvc pipe structure and use a shower curtain or greenhouse cover to cover it without the cover touching the CHE. Take a look at other enclosures on here there are so many ideas!!

Just the top for the long enclosure. What about for my small enclosure? Is it fine? I have 2 different tortoises

drew54

Indiana
Are u talking about both enclosures? I have 2 different ones.
Yeah. The long fluorescent tube would be very easy to secure inside once some support is added. For your smaller one are you using a compact uvb bulb?