Creating tortoise home

bip

Location (City and/or State)
Prior Park
Thank you for your welcome.
I live in Barbados in the Caribbean so my tortoises live outside all year round. My project for them is to build an area where they are mostly self fed. I have raised gardens where plants that they eat flow over the sides. At the moment I do not have enough growing for them to be self fed and I am researaching plants that I can grow that they can eat.

Most of the info that I find is from big continents so I am looking for caribbean info. I am very fussy about giving them food that may harm them.

Joanne

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Food that can harm them is for sure not recommended.
Most things they can eat I'm sure can be grown where you are. Probably harder to find things locally. May have to order plants/seeds online.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome! I know we don’t have too many members in your area. I’d start looking in our diet thread; try searching for plant names that you already know you have. We may be able to help there as well, if you know what you’ve got.

You might also post food questions in the redfoot subforum.

LadyScott

Barbados
Thank you for your welcome.
I live in Barbados in the Caribbean so my tortoises live outside all year round. My project for them is to build an area where they are mostly self fed. I have raised gardens where plants that they eat flow over the sides. At the moment I do not have enough growing for them to be self fed and I am researaching plants that I can grow that they can eat.

Most of the info that I find is from big continents so I am looking for caribbean info. I am very fussy about giving them food that may harm them.

Joanne
Hi Bip,
I'm also from Barbados, a newbie 're torts, and was searching for the same thing. I'm wondering if you've found any further information that you can share with me? I have a yellow/redfoot (mixed views on her species) who is approx 12 - 18months.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
I live in Florida and my redfoots daily graze food is hibiscus. I have about 20 bushes in my yard all grown from cuttings and my torts love the leaves and flowers. Other greens and veggies are also offered.
IMG_4325.jpg

LadyScott

Barbados
I live in Florida and my redfoots daily graze food is hibiscus. I have about 20 bushes in my yard all grown from cuttings and my torts love the leaves and flowers. Other greens and veggies are also offered.
View attachment 252384
Thank you. I've read many times they shouldn't have hibiscus too regularly. Should I ignore this advise? I'm conscious most advice about food is targeting indoor torts or those in cooler climates. My neighbour has a hibiscus tree but I stopped giving her after reading that

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
My redfoots have had hibiscus almost every day plus other veggies for over 30 years and all are doing just fine. Five adults and hundreds of hatchlings over the years have all loved leaves and flowers. Check out thetortoisetable.org.uk for more info.
IMG_3515.jpg

LadyScott

Barbados
My redfoots have had hibiscus almost every day plus other veggies for over 30 years and all are doing just fine. Five adults and hundreds of hatchlings over the years have all loved leaves and flowers. Check out thetortoisetable.org.uk for more info.
View attachment 252415
Thank you sooo much. That's one dilemma solved