Crickets (??) in the night box

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Ugh first ants and now crickets - at least I think that’s what these are. I found a handful living in his nightbox and I can see their poop everywhere! Any recommendations ?? (Or guidance on what these are if not crickets?).

They are living in the electrical area which is also concerning

Located in SoCal, Adult male Russian Tort outdoor enclosure

Attachments

• EE4D69BE-7D24-40F4-8095-4683C2F93B59.jpeg
    EE4D69BE-7D24-40F4-8095-4683C2F93B59.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • E57488CA-25C1-4700-80C9-E0E3B621F9C4.jpeg
    E57488CA-25C1-4700-80C9-E0E3B621F9C4.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 9

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yes. Looks like crickets to me. I can’t think of any reason to worry about crickets what-so-ever. They don’t bite or do anything nasty other than steal a wee bit of food as needed. In fact, depending your tortoise type - they might end up as dinner one evening. Id say, don’t worry.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Maro2Bear. I don't think your russian will eat them though unless by accident.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
I know that Box Turtles would devour crickets…slowly moving in to catch their prey. I don’t see why given the access & desire why a Russian would not. 🦗🦗🦗

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I know that Box Turtles would devour crickets…slowly moving in to catch their prey. I don’t see why given the access & desire why a Russian would not. 🦗🦗🦗
I don’t think they are omnivores. They only eat flowers and leafy greens.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They don’t bite or do anything nasty...
Mark and @wellington ,
Respectfully, this is not correct. Barb, I would have thought you'd know this due to your extensive pet store experience. Crickets can and will chew on sleeping reptiles. Many a bearded dragon or leopard gecko has been chewed on by nocturnal crickets in search of moisture and a meal. They will bite the soft areas around the eyes, cloaca and the skin around the bases of the toenails.

In stark contrast, roaches will not chew on a live animal, which is just one of the many reasons why I prefer to feed roaches to insectivores. I haven't used crickets as feeders in decades now.

@SinLA The best method I have found for controlling their numbers is the old style "Roach Motels". It is simply a sticky trap baited with molasses. No pesticides, and totally safe for a tortoise. I set them up out of reach of the tortoises and after a few days of use, you can flip the trap upside down and get double the use out of it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mark and @wellington ,
Respectfully, this is not correct. Barb, I would have thought you'd know this due to your extensive pet store experience. Crickets can and will chew on sleeping reptiles. Many a bearded dragon or leopard gecko has been chewed on by nocturnal crickets in search of moisture and a meal. They will bite the soft areas around the eyes, cloaca and the skin around the bases of the toenails.

In stark contrast, roaches will not chew on a live animal, which is just one of the many reasons why I prefer to feed roaches to insectivores. I haven't used crickets as feeders in decades now.

@SinLA The best method I have found for controlling their numbers is the old style "Roach Motels". It is simply a sticky trap baited with molasses. No pesticides, and totally safe for a tortoise. I set them up out of reach of the tortoises and after a few days of use, you can flip the trap upside down and get double the use out of it.
I totally forgot about that.
I also had a cricket invasion in my house years ago when Tatum was tiny and they never did bother him. Likely though because there was always other food available.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
@SinLA The best method I have found for controlling their numbers is the old style "Roach Motels". It is simply a sticky trap baited with molasses. No pesticides, and totally safe for a tortoise. I set them up out of

Ugh. thanks for the info...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry OP I did totally blank out about crickets being able to chew on reptiles.
Like I said above, my small leopard was never bothered but most likely there was other food available.
Leave a few greens out all night until you can get rid of them. Maybe put the greens in a cricket keeper leaving it open so the crickets will gather in the box and you can get them out

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Wow, Tom. I had no idea crickets were like that! Hmmm. Live and learn! Thanks for the information!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Mark and @wellington ,

I had a few crickets breed and they killed and half devoured a small Chameleon once.
It's why I don't keep live crickets in my Chameleon cages.
Although if I saw one or two, I wouldn't think too much about it in an outside tortoise enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I had a few crickets breed and they killed and half devoured a small Chameleon once.
Although if I saw one or two, I wouldn't think too much about it in an outside tortoise enclosure.
Many new reptile keepers go to the store and buy $1 or $2 of crickets and just toss them all in to the enclosure, figuring the reptile will eat them when it wants. Happens all the time. Same thing with live rodents and snakes. Snakes get chewed up all the time.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I feel like they are infesting his night box, I saw maybe 6 and its a small space

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Hhhhm. We must have very different types of crickets here in Maryland. But, i stand corrected for sure. Ive never seen crickets attacking/eating anything so its time to do more research! @Tom Thanks for setting the record straight.