Crickets (??) in the night box

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hhhhm. We must have very different types of crickets here in Maryland. But, i stand corrected for sure. Ive never seen crickets attacking/eating anything so its time to do more research! @Tom Thanks for setting the record straight.
Your crickets are not different, given the chance. Most people have never seen this behavior, and its shocking when they do. If you went around and collected up a dozen or two of your wild crickets and put them into a small enclosure with no food or water and a sleeping cool reptile at night, they would do the same thing as any other cricket.

Test it out. Get some of your crickets, place them in a small tub and after a day or two drop in a thawed pinky at night. There won't be much left by morning.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
@Tom (or anyone) after a week there are still a ton of crickets in his night box (he isn’t using it currently). You can see the roach motel in one corner and the crickets are in the front section. Do I just need to keep swapping out for new Motels each week?

Attachments

• 0212448C-7A5B-40DA-AEB5-582F9035D653.jpeg
    0212448C-7A5B-40DA-AEB5-582F9035D653.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 5

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom (or anyone) after a week there are still a ton of crickets in his night box (he isn’t using it currently). You can see the roach motel in one corner and the crickets are in the front section. Do I just need to keep swapping out for new Motels each week?
Check and see if all the sticky area is covered with crickets. If it is, then replace it. Make a little shelf, or place a brick near the entrance and place another roach motel out of tortoise reach near the from of the box.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Ugh almost no crickets at all! I moved to the main area of the box but clearly they are not attracted to it… hopefully better luck in the location

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ugh almost no crickets at all! I moved to the main area of the box but clearly they are not attracted to it… hopefully better luck in the location
Try putting it on top of the little wall there. See all those little black specks? That is cricket poo.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
NUTHIN! I am putting it in all the poop places, plus the dirt. They aren't going in at all. @Tom - Do crickets like honey? I could try adding a drop of honey to the center of the box, unless that's just going to bring in ants. The box doesn't seem to be "attracting" them at all.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
NUTHIN! I am putting it in all the poop places, plus the dirt. They aren't going in at all. @Tom - Do crickets like honey? I could try adding a drop of honey to the center of the box, unless that's just going to bring in ants. The box doesn't seem to be "attracting" them at all.
Try a dog food nugget or piece of Mazuri.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Ugh Ugh and more Ugh. So almost no crickets going into the roach motels (3 of them!) with dog food, but now I have ants coming after the dog food. Have put out a terro ant stuff there to handle that. I'm thinking of adding diatomaceous earth to the substrate, think that will work on the crickets @Tom without being bad for the tort?

We're getting the coldness point that I either need him to sleep in the heated night box, or starting bringing him inside again at night...

Also i would definitely use the word "infested". There's probably a dozen or more crickets in the area now

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ugh Ugh and more Ugh. So almost no crickets going into the roach motels (3 of them!) with dog food, but now I have ants coming after the dog food. Have put out a terro ant stuff there to handle that. I'm thinking of adding diatomaceous earth to the substrate, think that will work on the crickets @Tom without being bad for the tort?

We're getting the coldness point that I either need him to sleep in the heated night box, or starting bringing him inside again at night...

Also i would definitely use the word "infested". There's probably a dozen or more crickets in the area now
Diatomaceous earth does nothing. Mixed with substrate it will do even less. I've tried it many times, and it has never worked even a little bit for ants, roaches, or crickets for me. I finally threw it all away.

The Terro baits might also work on the crickets. Remove all other water sources at night for maximum effectiveness.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Bummer. I didn't realize they were so capable of biting hard! 😬
Last time I had a yard where a bunch of wild crickets showed up because of our outdoor lights, a family of fun toads moved in that ate them all and grew huge and nice. My little toad buddies!!!

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
yeah I am having NO LUCK with anything. They are not (much) going onto the sticky tape even with dog food as bait. Am going to try Diatomaceous Earth this weekend, even though Tom has had no luck, its literally the only thing I have left to try...