Crickets/Roaches/Grasshoppers getting into enclosure

lucyrane

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Hey everyone!
I'm a new tortoise mama, just got my desert tortoise Prince Albert at the beginning of July. I have an awesome outdoor habitat built for him (basically we DYI'd the ZooMed kit.) And everything has been going pretty good however the past few weeks I've been having problems with bugs in his habitat at night. I'm in Las Vegas and this time of year crickets and roaches are normally pretty bad because of the heat and we're currently invaded with grasshoppers. Every night I go and check on him and the habitat has roaches, grasshoppers and crickets crawling all over the place and tonight I noticed a lot of baby crickets as well. Will sharing his habitat with all these little creatures harm him? And any idea on how to get rid of them? They didn't come from his substrate as these little crawlies have only showed up with the past 2 weeks or so.

Thanks everyone!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hey everyone!
I'm a new tortoise mama, just got my desert tortoise Prince Albert at the beginning of July. I have an awesome outdoor habitat built for him (basically we DYI'd the ZooMed kit.) And everything has been going pretty good however the past few weeks I've been having problems with bugs in his habitat at night. I'm in Las Vegas and this time of year crickets and roaches are normally pretty bad because of the heat and we're currently invaded with grasshoppers. Every night I go and check on him and the habitat has roaches, grasshoppers and crickets crawling all over the place and tonight I noticed a lot of baby crickets as well. Will sharing his habitat with all these little creatures harm him? And any idea on how to get rid of them? They didn't come from his substrate as these little crawlies have only showed up with the past 2 weeks or so.

Thanks everyone!
Likely they are interested due to the desirable set up in the enclosure.....you know, dry desert vs more Oasis type setting you likely have for the tortoise....no, they will not cause harm to the tortoise. Now with that being said, crickets can bite and they can and do eat one another and if left in a indoor enclosure in large enough numbers can bite a reptile (but this is usually in a confined restricted set up where there is less food options and escape options....the roaches (water bugs) and grasshoppers should not present a problem....you and I find them a bit gross but all should be fine....

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hey everyone!

Thanks everyone!

Oh also, does the tortoise have a burrow or a cool hide/burrow to retreat to during the day? If yes, remember other critters will also like to enjoy that, like lizards, snakes and black widows (so be cautious when reaching into those cool dark places--especially during the summer months), while they will not generally cause an issue for the tortoise, a clumsy human arm and hand sliding into those places can be an easy soft target....not to scare you just to share with you :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey everyone!

Thanks everyone!
Hello and welcome. What size and age is the tortoise? Do you also have an indoor set up?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I had a Jacksons Chameleon get killed and partially eaten by a very large group of crickets that were supposed to be his food. But I'd personally be surprised if a few marauding crickets or roaches coming around would cause any issue.
In fact my tortoises...And the lizards that also have made the enclosure their home would make a meal out of any insect in short order.
I wonder if there is a cricket deterrent?

lucyrane

Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome. What size and age is the tortoise? Do you also have an indoor set up?
Hi and thanks for the welcome! Sorry so long to reply, I'm a teacher and the school year just started so it's been crazy busy! He's about 4 years old and about 9 inches long. He's in a habitat outside on my patio. The habitat does have a covered area where he's able to burrow deeper and hide. We basically diy'd a commercial habitat. My boyfriend and I are trying to get a house in the next few months so we're hoping that by the time he comes out of hibernation we will have an outdoor enclosure set up for him. While the yucky bugs are still in his enclosure at night it's no where near the amount it was a few weeks ago. I'm hoping once it finally cools off (I'm in Vegas so who knows when that will happen!) they'll go away completely. received_2411320415823805.jpeg 20190901_134803.jpg