Critique my schedule and feeding chart

David M.

Location (City and/or State)
Nevada
I've spent the last few hours scrounging around many different Redfoot feeding charts to get the best general idea of when/how to feed, and what foods are best. Please review this and let me know if anything should be changed. My goal is to have a strict schedule to stick to along with a consolidated list of what is appropriate to feed, and this way I dont have to have the Tortoise Table app pulled up on my phone the entire time at the grocery store!

1653072288564.png

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The best foods don't come from the grocery store. Grow your own, or scrounge good stuff out in the world.

There is nothing wrong with your list, but you are overthinking this. Just try to feed your tortoise a whole bunch of different good stuff.

David M.

Nevada
you are overthinking this
That sounds about right lol, I'm mostly worried about toxic foods. As far as the grocery store, unfortunately that's my best option at the moment. Everything in my back yard is either "feed sparingly" or "do not feed". That being said I do want to begin growing my own foods, sounds like a fun project.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
That sounds about right lol, I'm mostly worried about toxic foods. As far as the grocery store, unfortunately that's my best option at the moment. Everything in my back yard is either "feed sparingly" or "do not feed". That being said I do want to begin growing my own foods, sounds like a fun project.
Hello. 🤗Yes it is a fun project. That's what I really like about having a tortoise 🐢. Every time I turn around I have to learn something else 😂

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
@ZEROPILOT will be able to suggest good foods.
What can a Redfoot eat?
The short list is what a Redfoot can't eat!

A Redfoot can pretty much eat any fresh fruit, green leafy vegetable, edible flower, mushroom......almost anything that is not processed that you and your family are eating your Redfoot can eat. Including vegetables meat and eggs and cactus.
They are forest floor vacuum cleaners and no matter where you live there MUST be dozens of things that you can feed one.
They also eat pellets such as Mazuri 5M21. But if you ask me, this should just be a treat food because of the huge variety of fresh foods you can find easily. Anywhere.
Mine rarely eat the same thing twice in the same week. Although right now there's a lot of mango going on. They're in season and are all over my yard.
A diet of 60% fruit is my summer schedule feeding.
Your chart is fine. But it's totally unnecessary. Just feed what is available and keep a good variety of it. Mix it up. Buy some. Grow some. Find some.
Redfoot are not difficult to feed. This is not a specific food needing species.
As far as I'm aware. They are the easiest to feed tortoise you can find. So relax. You'll be fine and so will he.

Last edited: