Critique on young redfoot enclosure and thermostat?

Skippingstone46

Location (City and/or State)
St. Louis
I am adopting my first tortoise (redfoot) and trying to get as healthy a setup as possible. He will be starting in a 40 gallon tank (I know not ideal being glass) that is coming with him until I build an enclosure that will last many years in the near future (He is around 4.5 inches now).

I have read everything I can find on redfoots, and in my solutioning for temp/humid/light, I found a Reptizoo 3 in 1 that can monitor and regulate power with a hygrometer, thermostat, and timer for three plugins. I realize I will want more than one plug each down the line, but this seems to be the perfect solution for my immediate need. On one side of the tank, I plan to have a CHE for heat on the temp sensor and a 14" T5 10.0 (or 5.0?) on the timer for light. On the other side, I will have the hygrometer controlling a fogger piped in for humidity with hides etc. This appears the perfect solution for my temporary enclosure, and most items can be reused for my larger enclosure down the road as well.

Can anyone shoot holes in this plan, or does anyone have experience with the 3 in 1 thermostat? I could not find any info on it.
Also, with the T5 and CHE, do I still need a basking light as well? I am using the CHE 24/7 with day and night temps as our basement can get down to 65 or so. Otherwise, I would have considered a flood light during the day and just ambient house temps at night.

Thank you!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hello and welcome to the forum. Your plan sounds good except for one thing, the fogger. They really aren't recommended. You'd be better off making some sort of top for the tank to seal it off. It's much easier to hold in the humidity and temperature that way. All you have to do after that is pour a little water in the substrate. Here's what I came up with when I used a tank. I eventually glued the foam board to wood cut to fit, but this should give you some ideas.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The 5.0 T5 HO would be well suited for a Redfoot if the light isn't going through a screen and isn't more than 12" away from the tortoise.
Otherwise, get the 10.0 and you'll be good.
You will not need a basking light with a CHE and a T5 HO UVB as long as your temperatures are between 80 and 86°.

@Toddrickfl1 is absolutely correct about the humidifier. It's an unnecessary item with a functional closed chamber enclosure.
A closed chamber gives off humidity from the substrate as it evaporates and it also keeps in the warmth