Cruelty beyond words... please adopt him in California!

ManAlive85

Location (City and/or State)
London UK
Not enough death penalty states, only 28. Then they don't use it enough. Anyway, it would make me and a bunch of other animal lovers very happy to impose the death penalty. Just do it much quicker though, like within a year.

??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
If you read my post. In no way did I excuse the behavior. I said he should be locked up. I don't know if you read Old Yeller, but tl:dr the boy has to put down his loyal pet dog because he had rabies and was going to kill the boy. Yeller wasn't a villain or evil. A disease was.

I won't comment on this man's moral compulsion because I don't have enough information on him. But the events described are very compulsive in nature. He needs to be removed from public society immediately both for the reasons as you list and his own personal well being.
Yes and I'm sorry. I didn't mean to imply that you did. I also really believe that sick people need treatment which a lot of them don't get. It's really not regular people that let someone like that man back on the street. He has done two attacks though on a preschool. I wonder what it will take before authorities get the message that this man is dangerously mentally ill.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I agree, I have serous mental health problems (I’m on a whole lot of medication and have been since I was a child) and you don’t see me hurting animals... he should be on meds or be institutionalized. And no matter his mental health he should have to go to jail because he committed a serious crime. I’m tired of people saying it’s because of mental health issues, that’s a cop out, if he’s that messed up he should be in a ward for the populations safety. This is horrible.
Yes. I agree. I know too many people with "mental health issues" that wouldn't hurt anyone including an animal. The two issues shouldn't be confused and blame mental health for causing criminal activity.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I'm wondering what happened with the poor tortoise. I'm sure the teacher had good intentions and with some kind intervention and education s/he could succeed. My grandchildren have a better idea from growing up around me.

harrythetortoise

Virginia
I'm wondering what happened with the poor tortoise. I'm sure the teacher had good intentions and with some kind intervention and education s/he could succeed. My grandchildren have a better idea from growing up around me.

I read that it will take at least 2 months for the tortoise to be well enough to leave the hospital...

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I've looked around a little but haven't seen any news since a day or so after surgery. Hopefully, he (the tort) gets put in a protection program where he no longer gets traumatized by kids or nut jobs.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I read that it will take at least 2 months for the tortoise to be well enough to leave the hospital...
Hopefully the vet will start the intervention. I did read on here that the situation wasn't the best but it can be done. It's my best hope. We'll see. Maybe TFO will start popping up for vets too.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I've looked around a little but haven't seen any news since a day or so after surgery. Hopefully, he (the tort) gets put in a protection program where he no longer gets traumatized by kids or nut jobs.
That's another side of the situation too. I have grandkids. They were very controlled by me to be around Sapphire. He's just a little Russian but he can bite a finger too. The truth is I was more concerned about the tortoise ?. It was still really good for my grandkids to grow up knowing that you have to protect the little ones. The 1st rule was that you have to sit very still around my animals...then a LITTLE more interaction now and then. Grandma Dearest watching every move.?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Has ownership of this tortoise changed? I don't see any where that the tort will be available for adoption. Did I just miss it?

Relic

Here
There's more crazy people out there than most of you guys imagine. My career led me into direct contact with them frequently (firefighter/paramedic). Society used to lock them up in mental hospitals and throw away the key. Then we did a 180 and decided to medicate and release them back into society. Except crazy people aren't very dependable when it comes to taking their meds. You wouldn't expect a child to be diligent about taking his vitamin every day, would you? Here's the problem examined in more depth:

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Has ownership of this tortoise changed? I don't see any where that the tort will be available for adoption. Did I just miss it?
I think there's someone yesterday who posted that he would be at the vet hospital for 2 months recovering.

My concern is that he would be given back to the school that "rescued" him, & he would be subjected to daily kid abuse again.

We have another thread going on with Snoopy's Mom who is trying to rescue a sucalta in Hawaii from kid abuse.

Is this a new trend or is this just part of the general inhumanity going on before our eyes daily?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
As far as I'm concerned it's been this way in the chelonian world for years. My sister has been involved in tortoise rescue for about 30 years, and she didn't start because things were going good for turtles and tortoises