Crushed oyster shell growth?

RubyandPebbles

Location (City and/or State)
Ridgeway
20220115_151353.jpg
Does anyone know what is growing in my crushed oyster shell...have a setup ready and waiting for my Egyptian tortoise..in the meantime this black fuzz shows up I take it out and in 2 to 3 weeks it shows up again....not heat ir lights being used as I'm waiting to get my tortoises....will this hurt my baby Egyptian when it arrives? ..Help please?

Attachments

• 16422946178596308982359066025767.jpg
    16422946178596308982359066025767.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know what it is, but your 'oyster shell' looks like crushed rocks, not oyster shell. ???

RubyandPebbles

Ridgeway
I don't know what it is, but your 'oyster shell' looks like crushed rocks, not oyster shell. ???
Purchased from Amazon
Purchased at Amazon this is a close up picture the black things are what I find once in a while

Attachments

• 20220115_151315.jpg
    20220115_151315.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Send that ? back!!
Don’t let your tortoise/turtle anywhere NEAR that!
It could possibly CUT INSIDE its stomach or throat!! ??.
That stinks that they sold you that!!!
Try to order or get from a “fish store”.
??❤️

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When I had chickens I bought my crushed oyster shell from the feed store in 50lb bags. It actually looked like broken up shells, and I never had any black fuzzy growths in it.

(For anyone reading this thread who is not familiar with raising kleinmani tortoises, the substrate of choice for these tortoises is crushed oyster shell)

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
When I had chickens I bought my crushed oyster shell from the feed store in 50lb bags. It actually looked like broken up shells, and I never had any black fuzzy growths in it.

(For anyone reading this thread who is not familiar with raising kleinmani tortoises, the substrate of choice for these tortoises is crushed oyster shell)
Yvonne, besides for the black thingies in the bowl, didn’t the other stuff look like white “rocks”?????
That’s what I put in my garden!! ??
Also, THANK YOU SOO MUCH FOR SAYING THE NAME OF HER TORTOISE!!
That was the name written on the 10 gallon fish tank they kept my “SULCATA” in as a hatchling!!!
Ok….sorry.
Back to this ladies thread…?

RubyandPebbles

Ridgeway
Yvonne, besides for the black thingies in the bowl, didn’t the other stuff look like white “rocks”?????
That was the name written on the 10 gallon fish tank they kept my “SULCATA” in as a hatchling!!!
Ok….sorry.
Thank you

RubyandPebbles

Ridgeway
Ok….sorry.
Thank you

RubyandPebbles

Ridgeway

Thanks

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Yes, I’m using it for Egyptians. I’ve only had them a week at this point, but haven't seen them rooting around in the substrate, so I guess they haven’t eaten any of the black fuzz.

I’ve got about 150 lbs of oyster shell in the enclosure. It came from a farm store. I did rinse it several times and let it dry before loading it in to the enclosure. Nonetheless, the black fuzz seems to be around.

My guess is that this is fairly common since many people use oyster shell. It is strange that no one else has brought it up.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
I took some photos with a USB microscope. First is the full piece of fuzz, and the second is with it broken up. Is it a part of an oyster or some seaweed of some kind?

You're sure that it's reproducing rather than just being in the bag of shells from the factory?

S20220123_0001.jpg
S20220123_0002.jpg

RubyandPebbles

Ridgeway
Yes, I’m using it for Egyptians. I’ve only had them a week at this point, but haven't seen them rooting around in the substrate, so I guess they haven’t eaten any of the black fuzz.

I’ve got about 150 lbs of oyster shell in the enclosure. It came from a farm store. I did rinse it several times and let it dry before loading it in to the enclosure. Nonetheless, the black fuzz seems to be around.

My guess is that this is fairly common since many people use oyster shell. It is strange that no one else has brought it up.
Ok thanks I'm waiting for my Egyptian to arrive and have the set up ready just in case someone cancels their place in line so mine is just sitting with no lights on and thought maybe people with active enclosures don't have this problem....but glad to here someone else has this to.....even with an Egyptian tortoise....I thought how are people not noticing this.....I'm thinking a.common thing also ....I returned 1 brand of oyster shells and purchased another brand and both had this in it...

RubyandPebbles

Ridgeway
I took some photos with a USB microscope. First is the full piece of fuzz, and the second is with it broken up. Is it a part of an oyster or some seaweed of some kind?

You're sure that it's reproducing rather than just being in the bag of shells from the factory?

View attachment 339416
View attachment 339417
Yes because I picked it out put in the garbage and 3 weeks later more appeared...that is what made me post this because it came back

KleinmannCrew

WA
Hey all,

I know this thread is mostly closed, but wanted to chime in here:
I learned a lot about "crushed oyster" and the many variants you'll find when searching online. You'll also find that different Kleinmann keepers use the same term for technically different products, which is mostly due to advertisers of those products using the same terminology.

The black fuzz is still an unknown, but I do believe that it's a byproduct of the ocean, either being an algae, seaweed, or other plant-like growth that comes with the territory. I've found that my crews all but ignores the ones I can't pick out, and would recommend a wash regardless.

Product wise:
  1. White Pellet Looking Stuff = Crushed Coral, but often sold as crushed oyster! This is what you'll see Ralph using in many of the videos where his setups are displayed. It's pure calcium, and the bits vary in size. Calcium can be processed by the torts, although stories of impaction from this have also been noted. Here is a link to a product that is crushed coral. (Not sure if links are allowed!)
  2. Small pieces of actual Oyster Shell = Crushed Oyster Shell. Similarly, this is mostly calcium. I believe, just personally, there is more risk of injury with this type of shell wherein if ingested, lacerations as well as impactions can take place. Here is a link to this product.

RubyandPebbles

Ridgeway
Thanks so much
I double checked your links and yes I purchased both these types and have the same issue, thanks I'm still waiting for my Egyptian tortoises I also did try a different substrate using a different breed tortoise while waiting....that 1 is a mix of calcium sand and excavator clay I must say I will probably use this mixture for my Egyptians when they come in but change to crushed oyster shells when they are a larger size for my concern of impaction when they are smaller. My current tortoises using this mixture seem to carry a stain that does come off in the soaking process and I feel crushed oyster shells keep the tortoise cleaner and cafe look nicer