Crushed walnut shells

Status
Not open for further replies.

russianhenry

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
My roommate used crushed walnut shells from petsmart for her bearded dragon, would this be ok to use with Lola. It looks like really course sand.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
No, not good. Sand sucks too. Why the pet shops recommend is pure lack of knowledge, or profit driven. Sand causes impaction. Preventing large vet bills is better. Crushed walnut may do the same, but worse yet. Walnut shells create a type of mold that is toxic and can kill a dog or even a horse. Cats and humans can deal with this mold. Question is, can a beardie or a tortoise? Why risk it?

If you plant a walnut tree, nothing else will grow under it or around it's perimeter because of a compound called juglone that is in the fruit, roots and hulls. Juglone is antimicrobial properties but it is also what makes it toxic. Juglone negatively affects human fibroblasts, specialized cells that reside in connective tissue that produce collagen proteins. Juglone drastically decreased available protein and as a result damaged the DNA material in these cells and triggered apoptosis, or cell death. But, juglone is also being studied in cancer, because it may go after tumors. They say that walnut can kill over 100 kinds of parasites.

If walnuts become moldy they contain a neurotoxin called penitrem A, which can poison dogs, horses. In horses, black walnut wood or extract is known to cause a serious inflammatory disease called equine laminitis, which involves a buildup of white blood cells in the hooves, resulting in pain and lameness.

Walnut hulls make a great dye, for hair or crafts. Sooooo ...

I use coco coir. I got it at Target. Only 2.47 a brick in the garden area, by the seeds (used to start seeds). I also heard cypress is good, too. Others may chime in with more ideas or share what they use. Sand and walnut, my opinion, thumbs down.

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
I would not use it either. When I rescued a Sulcata last year he was kept in that walnut sand stuff. It doesn't hold moisture well and I just don't think its natural! I was quick to change it out.

Dirt and spaghnum is good depending on the dirt and the species of tortoise. A russian I am assuming? I use coco coir and the moss mixed to help hold moisture, especially on the hotter end. The moss soaks water right up and I have found that it is good for humid hides and just keeping up the humidity in general!

Status
Not open for further replies.