Culantro?

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
SWFL
Anyone ever heard of this? It smells and tastes like cilantro. But it has long thin leaves. My star devoured it. I will try the redfoots tomorrow. They were already in bed.

Attachments

• 1386551898297.jpg
    1386551898297.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 101

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I must admit, when I saw the heading I thought it was just a misspell. Learn something new everyday.

Cute_Obi

5 Year Member
St. Paul, MN
I've had it before in soups but never tried feeding it to my tortoise.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Re: RE: Culantro?

ascott said:

Wow, thanks for the excellent explanations. I bookmarked that one site.
My redfoots would not touch it. But I chopped it and mixed in their soaked Mazuri. They just gobble the Mazuri and they get many of their greens that way. My Star continued to hone right in on it and eat it above any other offered greens.
I put it in my salad and YUM!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Culantro with a "u" or ngo gai, is used in Vietnamese and Thai dishes.
AnnV, you do what I do, one for you, five for me ... everything you can eat, I can eat better I tell my tortoises, LOL. Or rather, I better eat it. That health thing.

Here is a fab seed source. Our family has done business with them since the world wars I think. Love them.
http://www.kitazawaseed.com/seed_374-185.html

jdelagarza001

5 Year Member
Culantro is used daily in Costa Rican and other Central American dishes. It is wonderful for blood anemia! Huge health benefits!

psadasivan

5 Year Member
Rockville, MD
I think it is basically the same as cilantro. The one that you have is called culantro which is know as mexican coriander whereas cilantro is known as chinese coriander. In short they both are corianders with slightly different flavors.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I've used it for years in soups, beans, and as a base for most dishes that you use sauté peppers, onions, and garlic. It tastes wonderful! I grow my own in partially shaded areas. I don't fed it to my torts only because I don't have much to spare, but if I did, I would mix it in their mazuri. No wonder your stars love it!

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Culantro with a "u" or ngo gai, is used in Vietnamese and Thai dishes.
AnnV, you do what I do, one for you, five for me ... everything you can eat, I can eat better I tell my tortoises, LOL. Or rather, I better eat it. That health thing.

Here is a fab seed source. Our family has done business with them since the world wars I think. Love them.
http://www.kitazawaseed.com/seed_374-185.html

Do your torts like ngo gai? What species do you have?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
gtc, yes, I do. But I am tough love tortie mommy. I use herb scissors (the ones with 3 or 5 blades) to cut everything fine and then I mix-mix-mix so there is no picky eating picking. Or I throw things in the processor and goop it up into their Mazuri as "meatballs". Teeheehee.