Custom Built Tortoise Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
DSCF1330[1].JPG Our tortoise table is 3 foot wide by 5 foot long with 18 or so inch high walls. We covered it with kitchen linoleum to waterproof it and protect the wood. Just two weeks ago we installed a ramp leading to an upper level, which is the ceiling of her sleeping quarters. This has become her permanent feeding zone. Below the upper level is her sleeping quarters, which is stuffed full of timothy hay - she buries herself to sleep in it every night, though I wonder if it might be too dry for a Russian. Soon at the opposite end, we will be adding a lower level. This will make her table three-tiered, having a lower level, a mid level, and a high level. I love the coconut husk substrate because it's so easy to maintain the humidity level by misting with a spray bottle.

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks nice. Can't wait to see the third lower level. However, I would put a substrate on the top level over the linoleum. To give better traction.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That is a very nice tortoise enclosure!

You will see many opinions on substrates. :p
The coir is excellent. I have used timothy hay for the sleeping quarters and my torts love it. I have also used aspen.
Many would say these are too dry, but I believe torts know what is best for them if given enough substrate choices and variety, which you have done.
The important thing with hay is to change it out weekly or so keep it fresh.

Russians love to climb!

arotester

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Looks nice. Can't wait to see the third lower level. However, I would put a substrate on the top level over the linoleum. To give better traction.

ditto :)

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Nice job! I like coco coir for substrate. But use what works best for your lil one. :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yes, I think it is nice there is coir in the main part.

I have a second level that I use as the feeding station too. This makes it extremely easy to keep clean after feeding and all of the other stuff they do after eating :p
I added a large tile on one side to improve traction and help with beak trimming.
So you could put a piece of tile or slate on the feeding side; this can be pulled out and washed as needed.

the other tweak you could make is to add strips of anti skid tape on the ramp. This will help keep nails trimmed. You can buy it by the foot at places like ACE hardware.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/3m-safety-walk-1-in-x-60-ft-anti-slip-tape-7731.html#.UPGG8qE3knc

Tortilla1989

5 Year Member
Chicago
LOVE the ramp idea!!! I am building my Tortoise Table today with my father! Thanks for the inspiration! I can't wait to get my Tortilla all set up in her new home!
Great Idea with the anti skid tape, I need something like that or flag stone to help file her nails down.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
arotester said:
wellington said:

ditto :)

We discussed many different options of what to put on the floor of the upper level. Right now I've got a little timothy hay up there, but I think I'm just going to leave it bare. Main reason - Dalilah poos and pees every single time she eats, thus it's so easy to clean right off the linoleum. And she doesn't seem to mind it being a little slippery. She still eats like a pig. I am noticing that the smell is much worse though when there isn't any substrate for her to go on, so I may soon be getting some more coco husk and adding it up there.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
lynnedit said:
Yes, I think it is nice there is coir in the main part.

I have a second level that I use as the feeding station too. This makes it extremely easy to keep clean after feeding and all of the other stuff they do after eating :p
I added a large tile on one side to improve traction and help with beak trimming.
So you could put a piece of tile or slate on the feeding side; this can be pulled out and washed as needed.

the other tweak you could make is to add strips of anti skid tape on the ramp. This will help keep nails trimmed. You can buy it by the foot at places like ACE hardware.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/3m-safety-walk-1-in-x-60-ft-anti-slip-tape-7731.html#.UPGG8qE3knc

I racked my brain trying to figure out what to use for traction. Right now there are stips of outdoor carpeting. I love the idea of the anti skid. Will definitely be picking some up. I get the feeling I will be removing the outdoor carpeting strips because she pees on them and it's hard to clean. This pic was taken before we were ready for her to actually go up due to health hazards for her, so I hadn't yet finished the stripping all the way up.

Tortilla1989 said:
LOVE the ramp idea!!! I am building my Tortoise Table today with my father! Thanks for the inspiration! I can't wait to get my Tortilla all set up in her new home!
Great Idea with the anti skid tape, I need something like that or flag stone to help file her nails down.

Good luck and have fun! I absolutely love rearranging Dalilah's "house" and watching her roam around and check things out afterwards. Just make sure you build it big enough to be able to rearrange it, thus keeping your tort from getting bored. Currently I'm working on growing some spider plants that will hang just above her table, allowing the baby sprouts to literally hang in her table. I can't wait, however plants grow so slowly :rolleyes:

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
lynnedit said:
cleaning substrate out of that upper area was very tedious.
I also considered lining the upper 'feeding' area with this
http://www.petco.com/product/108362/Zilla-Brown-Reptile-Terrarium-Liner.aspx
cut to size, wash, dry well and reuse.

You could then have a small piece of slate on the liner at one end of the feeding area to keep the beak trim.

I checked that stuff out when I was at the pet store the other day - I am considering it. Thanks for the recommendation, Lynnedit!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I ended up lining it with several layers of newspaper under the tiles on either end to hold it in place. Pretty easy to clean and keeps the beak trimmed.

be sure to post pics!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Some do recommend that. I think it depends on the size of the tort. There is some fear of torts flipping in them, but you can monitor this. Some Mediterranean torts ignore the water dish altogether!

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
I posted pics of the table this morning showing the third level! My post is in the enclosure section in the Tortoise Topics

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
Here's pics of the completed tri-level table :D

Attachments

• Delilah.pdf
    156 KB · Views: 44
Status
Not open for further replies.