Cut in hind leg of Indian star tortoise

Parthjain

Location (City and/or State)
India
Hi guys, My star has got a cut in his hind leg. His age is around 8 months. He is eating and active. His other leg is having a minor cut. I am very worried. I have soaked in betadine water (Ratio 1:10). Please help. IMG_20180303_084815.jpgIMG_20180303_084815.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180303_084847.jpg
    IMG_20180303_084847.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20180303_084907.jpg
    IMG_20180303_084907.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 91

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hi
IMG_1897.jpg
I wouldn’t soak him in it cause the tort drinks the water you soak him in !! I would continue to apply it to the cut .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would keep him on a clean surface like paper towel or plain brown wrapping paper until healed and apply some antibiotic cream to the cuts after you clean it good. Also find out what is causing the cuts. Something in enclosure or is a part of his shell causing it?

Parthjain

India
I would keep him on a clean surface like paper towel or plain brown wrapping paper until healed and apply some antibiotic cream to the cuts after you clean it good. Also find out what is causing the cuts. Something in enclosure or is a part of his shell causing it?

I think it's because of the shell because his other leg is also affected. Would betadine too harsh if applied directly? I am keeping him on a clean cloth so that it does not hurt him. Should I do anything else?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I wouldn't continue with the betadine. Clean it once more with it and then apply antibiotic cream and keep it clean.
Then try to find what on the shell is doing it. Jagged edges might need to be smoothed out. Maybe just needs some growing to fix the problem. See how it heals and if it happens again.

Bee62

Germany
Hello. The legs of your little tort look puffy. That is unnormal. I would take the tort to a VET.
Do you know how the baby was started ? In dry or in humid conditions ? Is the shell of your baby normally hard ?
The shell doesen`t hurt legs or skin normally. There might be something else going on. Maybe kidney problems.
How long the legs had been so puffy ?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Absolutely agree with @Bee62 That tortoise looks very ill. There is considerable overall swelling / water retention. I believe those "cuts" are a result of the badly swollen and distended tissue there. Probably failing kidneys. Something is very wrong with this tortoise.

Parthjain

India
Hello. The legs of your little tort look puffy. That is unnormal. I would take the tort to a VET.
Do you know how the baby was started ? In dry or in humid conditions ? Is the shell of your baby normally hard ?
The shell doesen`t hurt legs or skin normally. There might be something else going on. Maybe kidney problems.
How long the legs had been so puffy ?

Hi, please have a look at him once again. I am very afraid. I don't know how this happened. It's very difficult to get a good vet for tortoises in India. Can you please see once again. He is eating well. He is active and is pooping fine. I am really very very scared. IMG_20180304_090358.jpgIMG_20180304_090405.jpg

Bee62

Germany
Hi, please have a look at him once again. I am very afraid. I don't know how this happened. It's very difficult to get a good vet for tortoises in India. Can you please see once again. He is eating well. He is active and is pooping fine. I am really very very scared. View attachment 232076View attachment 232077
It was not my intention to worry you, but I see that all legs and even the cloaca are looking puffy.
How often do you have soaked him in Betadine and how long ?
Do you remember if the legs were looking the same before soaking ?
I would soak him the next days very long in clear water. The water must stay warm during the soak and I would soak twice a day for 30 - 40 min. When he got too much iodine from the Betadine long soaks can help to get the iodine out of his body. Long soaks are good for the kidneys too.
I hope that your baby is doing well and I am wrong. He or she is cute.
Good luck.

Parthjain

India
It was not my intention to worry you, but I see that all legs and even the cloaca are looking puffy.
How often do you have soaked him in Betadine and how long ?
Do you remember if the legs were looking the same before soaking ?
I would soak him the next days very long in clear water. The water must stay warm during the soak and I would soak twice a day for 30 - 40 min. When he got too much iodine from the Betadine long soaks can help to get the iodine out of his body. Long soaks are good for the kidneys too.
I hope that your baby is doing well and I am wrong. He or she is cute.
Good luck.
Hi thanks for your reply.
I have soaked him in betadine for 2 days and for 10mins.
I think his legs were same before soaking.
I would definitely soak him in warm water for 30-40mins. I have also applied some coconut oil and camphor today because of his dry skin. After this he is very active.
How can check if his kidneys are fine?
Also, how can I maintain moisture around him?

I know he is very cute and an Angry young man.

Thanks for your help.

Bee62

Germany
Hi thanks for your reply.
I have soaked him in betadine for 2 days and for 10mins.
I think his legs were same before soaking.
I would definitely soak him in warm water for 30-40mins. I have also applied some coconut oil and camphor today because of his dry skin. After this he is very active.
How can check if his kidneys are fine?
Also, how can I maintain moisture around him?

I know he is very cute and an Angry young man.

Thanks for your help.
Only a blood test by a VET can say something about the health of his kindneys, but I think he is too small for a blood test. You only can wait if he is doing fine. When tortoises have kidney problems their shell often get soft.
What substrate do you use for your tort ? Mixing water in the substrate every other day is a way to mainain humidity. Sprinkle water with a flower sprayer too.
Do you use a close chamber ?

Parthjain

India
Only a blood test by a VET can say something about the health of his kindneys, but I think he is too small for a blood test. You only can wait if he is doing fine. When tortoises have kidney problems their shell often get soft.
What substrate do you use for your tort ? Mixing water in the substrate every other day is a way to mainain humidity. Sprinkle water with a flower sprayer too.
Do you use a close chamber ?
His shell is much harder then it was 3-4 months ago. I give him calcium drops twice a week.
Currently I am using cardboard with a cloth.

Bee62

Germany
His shell is much harder then it was 3-4 months ago. I give him calcium drops twice a week.

Do you have pics of the cardboard ?
What substrate do you use ?

Ed mitch

You should try and find a substrate such as coco coir or orchid bark or similar as this will maintain the humidity in the enclosure.

N

no one

This little star is on my mind, so I was thinking... could the puffy legs be from eating to much? I have seen it with Turtles. What does your little star eat?

I so hope he/she will be ok!!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
If the swelling happened first, then the cuts may be indeed from scraping of the swollen up legs against the shell.

Make sure you have all his conditions and diet correct, that is, temperatures and humidity in the box, and proper diet for that species.

If you can get neosporin (without the pain killer) or polysporin cream you can apply it to his cuts.