Cutest/Best characteristics of your tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

feline8

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
MD
I thought making this thread would be interesting since every tortoise has their unique qualities, whether it is their personality or their physical appearance.

I think the cutest quality on my baby red footed tortoise, Tangelo, is her reddish nose. It's just so tiny and adorable! She looks up at me and gives me the "meh" face a lot. :D

So what's the best or most interesting characteristic about your tortoise?

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Well lately my guy has been noticing when I put my Hand in to drop the food in the dish.
He runs over but not the the food to my hand and will pput his head on it. Just stay like that.
Then he sees food and goes crazy for that.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My cutie Tatum lets me kiss his face lots at one time and sticks his head out further, like he wants more and likes it. I know crazy, but that's what I think he is doing and I am sticking to it:p:D makes me happy :)

feline8

5 Year Member
MD
wellington said:
My cutie Tatum lets me kiss his face lots at one time and sticks his head out further, like he wants more and likes it. I know crazy, but that's what I think he is doing and I am sticking to it:p:D makes me happy :)

Aww!! That's adorable! I wish Tangelo would let me do that. I guess she's still not used to me yet; I've only had her for about a month. She's still pretty shy and hides a lot, but that's probably due to her young age.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Give her a little more time, she'll come around. I just hope when my Tatum gets larger, he still let's me kiss him without taking my lip off. LOL:D

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
I have four torts ATM, 3 Russians and one hermanns. They are ALL different and unique :). Tootsie is very very laid back, she doesn't really fuss around in her soaks and just kind of looks at you when handled. Tank wants nothing to do with soaks!! He's pretty active, but sucks it all I when you need to pick him up. Brains, ah Brains what a nut, I could watch him for hours!! Skittles, my baby hermanns is constantly on the go, he's like a freaking energizer bunny!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I love how bold Mork is, and how he's always walking around with his head stretched out. Then sometimes he pauses and sticks his neck out even farther, all the way out and up so he can look around. He looks so handsome when he does that. :)

Mindy is much more shy, but I love it when she plunks herself down by a patch of weeds and just chows down. She knows what she likes, and she knows when to get it! :cool:

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
tyguy35 said:
Well lately my guy has been noticing when I put my Hand in to drop the food in the dish.
He runs over but not the the food to my hand and will pput his head on it. Just stay like that.
Then he sees food and goes crazy for that.

Awww! He's thanking you :)!!

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
GeoTerraTestudo said:
I love how bold Mork is, and how he's always walking around with his head stretched out. Then sometimes he pauses and sticks his neck out even farther, all the way out and up so he can look around. He looks so handsome when he does that. :)

I love this description, my Brains does this too :)

EKLC

5 Year Member
my pancake tort climbs all over the place, and since he's missing a foot, he gets in sticky situations

temp-320-83311762.gif

and here he is sticking his face through the mesh of a temporary enclosure
downsized_0819121401.jpg

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
Mine would be Echo's shy yet brave personality. She's so timid yet pushes through and goes for things she's otherwise scared of. She'll pee and pulse in her burrow then climb slowly out and investigate things. I like that she's nervous yet tries :) granted today she thought she was another tortoise and ran around her outdoor space going OVER the hides, grunting up and sliding down them until she got stuck face down, butt up! Luckily I was watching...and laughing :]

srkarpen

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Yortoise, my Russian has a little grumpy face. Even when I know he's happiest he looks at me with this grumpy old man face. It's adorable. He's got some nasturtiums that he loves to munch but some of them are just out of his reach. He'll stretch really out far and stand up really tall but not quite get there then look up with his grumpy face. It's too much.

image-2226142958.png

image-3442209941.png

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
I love it when my sulcata does hardcore stretching and it's just too adorable! My leopard tortoise looooves climbing and I always find him standing tall on his legs! So cute!

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I looove how Carl's total attitude seems to be "I'm too cool for you, leave the food and go". He isn't afraid of me, and I think he might even like me just a little, but I obviously don't figure into his day at all :p

I also like how in soaks, for some reason he turns into a rabid machine. He tries to eat the sides of the little tub he's in, he tries to "eat" the water, and a lot of times he tries to eat my fingers!

Ohhh, I also like how he will do anything for his favorite food. I was having a discussion with some family that came over about how they thought tortoises were incapable of going any faster than snail pace. I decided to show them Carl's speed demon side, so I got a stone crop leaf, put if about 20 inches away from him, and watched him go! Haha, he ran so fast... People always talk about their tortoises not eating when stressed... well Carl has passed away a trip to the vet visit, an emergency run through walmart, and one trip to Petco totally unaware what was going on around him because he was too busy demolishing a stone crop leaf. That was really cute :)

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Indy (pic)
Our 9 year-old Russian will run up to greet everyone, friend or foe. I love that he's completely fearless and super social with people.

Bellatrix (pic)
One of the Burmese Stars is a big brazen lady. I find it hilarious that she gets what she wants when she wants it by bulldozing everything and everyone out of her way.

Anakin (pic)
He's a timid, stealthy little Burmese Star. I'll go days without seeing him, but the food on his plate always disappears. I'm considering changing his name to 007.

Chief (pic)
This sully hatchling is the newest member of our family. I love his stubbornness. When he see's a blade of grass he wants, he goes for it, even if it means levering his entire body weight to pull it out of the ground. Very funny to watch.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
My sweet sulcata Shelly always looks like he's smiling, and whenever the kids and I go outside, he wanders over to us to see what's going on. My kids will pet him on the head and giggle, and then run away from him yelling, "the monster is coming!" He just watches like he doesn't mind being included in the game.

Tubby literally comes "running" as soon as he sees us, his big sulcata shuffle-run is hilarious.

My new redfoot Daisy is just super cute and soooooooooooo slow.

Q'sTortie

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
I love how Kiwi will duck into his shell but as soon as he sees a glimpse of the food im holding his head pops out, mouth wide open, lunging for the food :) As for Lyra, I love how fearless she is! She's never ducking in at all, just up and running around :) And for my new star, don't know her personality yet but love the ways she looks

srkarpen

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Aw, my pics didn't post before. Here they are :D

Grumpiest tortoise i've ever seen.

Attachments

• 2012-08-25 08.29.09.jpg
    2012-08-25 08.29.09.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
  • 2012-08-21 08.40.22.jpg
    2012-08-21 08.40.22.jpg