Cuts on back of legs

coxy17

Hi

I have two horsefield tortoises and i noticed that one of them has had cuts to both back legs and wondered what is causing it? both of them share space in a wooden enclosure and all i can think is that it could be the other tortoise chewing the others leg? or a disease?

I took him to the vets and they had know idea other than treatment to heal the legs but its returned now.

Nick

IMG-20151230-WA0001.jpg IMG-20151230-WA0000.jpg IMG-20151230-WA0002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
You could be right about the other tort biting it!
I believe Russians are quite scrappy and pairs of any species rarely works because the one tort becomes dominant and bullies the other.
You may not notice it happening and think they are following each other to be friendly or snuggling but torts don't do this.
They are territorial and do not need or like friends, they see other torts as a threat and will do their best to drive them away,
I would separate the two as soon as possible!
The bitten one could be very stressed and this may make it ill with possibly very sad consequences.
If you do a search on keeping pairs you will see lots of reasons why this is not recommended.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Bites are likely. Please separate them immediately. Tortoises are solitary and territorial. Russians are very scrappy, and should not be kept as pairs.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
When my Reds are allowed out together my 1lb tort immediately starts nipping at the 10lb torts back legs. I am willing to bet that is what you are seeing.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
I would definitely separate immediately.

There is a thread on here somewhere telling of how a tortoise chewed off the hind legs of another tortoise... very sad and scary.

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Scotland
Is it a male and a female you have? The male tortoise bites the females leg to try and get her to mate... Or so I've heard
In any case tortoises don't do well in pairs so you are better separating them