Cutting Plastic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edna

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rawlins, Wyoming
My two Christmas Tree storage boxes just arrived. Yay! My plan is to cut out the centers of the plastic lids, leaving a flat lip. I will then cut plexiglass to fit, covering about 2/3 of the lit top, and will fit the remaining 1/3 with wire screen that will support my lights, CHE. Any suggestions for cutting the lids? We are thinking a hacksaw blade in a jigsaw. How do you cut plexiglass?
The boxes are vastly spacious compared to what the kids are in now, and I look forward to getting them set up and inhabited!

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
i use a soldering iron with a long tip on it to cut most of my plastics. as far as the plexi, they make special cutters for it or you could use a fine tooth hacksaw, like a 32 tooth.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
you can use a jigsaw for the box the plexiglass you will have to scor it with a utility knife or you can buy a knife for pexiglass they sell them at home depot be you might be able to use a jigsaw with the right blade

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Plexi is kind of brittle to work with. I prefer polycarbonate (Lexan)- you can cut or drill it about like thin wood and it is really tough.

DerekS

5 Year Member
Akron, OH
I never have luck with those special plexiglass tools. Ive bought 2 different styles. I find scoring and breaking with a utility knife the easiest.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I don't use plexiglass anymore I use glass, It is cheaper ,doesn't scratch, easy to clean and the store will cut any size you need. Put wire over the whole hole you cut and lay the glass on the wire, If the glass has sharp edges they can be sanded with regular sandpaper to smooth and make safe(those sanding sponges work fine).They also sell jig saw blades for cutting plastic, but any fine tooth blade will work.-- just an idea-- Len

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I have used jig saws for alot of projects. They are great with the right blades and patience. Good luck.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Hmmm, when you cut the lid, make sure to leave enough on the edges that it will be able to support the plexiglass. My big sheets of plexiglass I have over my table tend to bow and sag in the middle due to their own weight.

I did the utility knife scoring when I cut the windows for my table, but darn it all I could never score on the same line twice. I ended up making a big mess of things and wish I had a better way of cutting it. That was my first time cutting plexi though so maybe I was doing it wrong :) I agree with Madkins, Lexan might be easier to work with.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I used to use a Dremel with a cutting disc to cut out those lids. Now I just use a utility knife. So much easier and makes a nice clean edge.

I prefer real glass too.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
I use a jigsaw to cut the plastic, but Plexiglass get done @ the store...let them deal w/ the hassle!

Actually, like Len, using real glass is more my preference.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
A dremel is definitely the way to go...a much cleaner cut!

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
I've used the utility knife and jigsaw. Just remember when using the jigsaw that "slow and steady wins the race"...hahaha...tortoise forum.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Thanks for all the tips, folks! We found acrylic sheets available locally, so will at least try that first. Goal for now is to have the lids altered and the heat cable ordered before we take off for Thanksgiving. When we come home we'll be bringing lots of new cypress mulch with us, the cable will be delivered, and we'll be ready to set up new tort residences.

Status
Not open for further replies.