Cutting plastic

Status
Not open for further replies.

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I know a lot us are using plastic storage bins of one sort or another.

What are the different methods you have used to cut holes in lids or sides etc...

What works good and what doesn't.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I used to use a plastic storage bin. I used scissors to cut the lid and it was not the best tool. It'll get the job done if you have nothing else but it wont have the smoothest edge and hurts your fingers...

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
SulcataDud3 said:
I use a dremel, it works wonders. Comes with many different attachments for all your needs.

I'm going to have to look through my attachments and see what will work. Any suggestions?

Len said:
Depending on the thickness I use a razor knife, tin snips or a jig saw with a fine tooth blade.

I've used a box cutter few times but it's never turned out very good.

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
A drill bit and a cutting wheel will do the job. What I would do first is outline the entrance with a visible marker/sharpie. Then drill holes a long the outline, then finish it off by using the cutting wheel and cut the extra plastic off in between the holes you've made with the drill, or you can just use the cutting wheel a long the outline if you have precision. After I use a sanding drum and sand down the outline until a smooth finish. Hope this helps!

Check out my old thread, I had a similar issue a few years ago. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-5000.html

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
My old plastic hide is not that elastic and brittle. It cracked when I used scissor, so I used heated metal to make a hole. It didn't created any smooth cut at all and a very slow work.

Status
Not open for further replies.