cuttlebone and Mercury vapor bulb

Franklincroft

2 questions. I keep hearing about cuttlebone and I found one for birds at my local grocery store and I was wondering if that's it or if there is a tortoise specific one? and 2 I read on here that a Mercury vapor bulb is good for heat and basking... is that true? and if so what wattage should I get for my adult Russian male?

Franklincroft

how do I figure out the correct distance is it different for all species or different for all tortoises?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
how do I figure out the correct distance is it different for all species or different for all tortoises?
You raise or lower the lamp until it's 95F directly underneath it at ground level. It must be hung vertically, not at an angle.

You need a distance of around 12" between the bulb and the top of your tort's shell to avoid burns which is easier to achieve with a higher wattage bulb.

Franklincroft

You raise or lower the lamp until it's 95F directly underneath it at ground level. It must be hung vertically, not at an angle.

You need a distance of around 12" between the bulb and the top of your tort's shell to avoid burns which is easier to achieve with a higher wattage bulb.

okay! thank you! I'm a new tort mommy and don't want to cause him any harm at all.