Cypress Mulch, ETC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

randy

5 Year Member
Getting all the materials I need for my 30 gallon tank and hatchling sulcata, bought Zoo Med Reptile Lamp Stand, package of 2 100 watt basking lights by zoo med for 20.00, getting a light fixture from Lowes or Home Deport with Ceramic outlet soon, now I need to get substrate. I was either thinking of the bags of coconut fiber which is quite expensive or go to the lawn and garden store and buy a large bag of cypress mulch. Alot of you all mentioned using dirt that you buy in bags at the store, what type would be the best and would this be better than the cypress or coconut fiber? I'm tring to get the habitat set up and running long before I get the Tortoise to make sure that the humidity and temperature stays constant and if not get it to the right temperatures before getting the little one.

TaraDodrill

5 Year Member
Confrere on your pending baby Sullie! Sounds like ur on the right track getting everything. I used organize soil to help jeep moisture in and to be able to grow seeds and grass. The soil I got was from Dollar General, was the only place I could find any the reptile vet approved. I thought I could find some at Lowe's or Hone Depot, but even the "organic" I found there had placates or pekotes.
I would take pics of soil ingredients and show it to rep vet or experienced keepers on the forum before buying, just to be safe.

Do you have a humid hide and hygrometer? Using spaghum moss really helps hold in humidity. Lowe's does have that a lot cheaper than pet stores.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.