Cypress Mulch for Leopard and Russian

TheWarTortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hey everyone!

So have have a Russian and a Leopard, and right now for their enclosures are using a mix of Eco Earth with sand. I tried this substrate out last time their cages were cleaned out (about 5 months ago). I don't really like the mix because it's messy, and can get in their food, leading to digestion problems (don't worry, once I noticed that this was happening, I put a stone underneath both of their food bowls so that way the dishes are above the substrate). So I've opted to switch to something cleaner, and something that can hold humidity better. Cypress Mulch is a first to come to mind, but I'm having trouble picking a kind.

I was looking at this:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_97677-1802-CRRG20P2_0__?productId=50261731

Could someone tell me whether or not this would be good for my two torts? And by "good" I mean does it have any chemicals that could harm them in any way.

Thanks!

-Mitchell

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I have used zoo med's cypress mulch in the past. I couldn't confirm that the stuff at lowes was truly chemical free so I figured I wouldn't take the chance. I now use mostly coco coir...it holds moisture well, doesn't mold and doesn't cause digestive issues. A lot of Leopard owners use fine grade orchid bark, but I can never find safe kinds in my area so I don't use it. I stopped using cypress mulch for the most part because my Leopard's like to eat it...despite my adding miner-all to their diet. Anyway, look up coco coir...it is pretty cool stuff.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I prefer fine grade orchid bark for both of those species. You can buy it in bulk for less than the price of a small pet store bag at a garden center.

Coir would be my second choice. I don't prefer it because it can be pretty messy under larger tortoises. It is my first choice for baby Testudo species and CDTs.

Cypress is okay, but because it comes from a swamp it is some timesdirty and smelly and requires extensive rinsing before use. It also tends to have too many large chunks and sharp points. I'd rather leave the cypress trees standing in the swamp.