Cypress Mulch from Home Depot/Lowes

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I have a very hard time finding cypress mulch in Canadian Home Depots, Ronas or other garden centres. I would use it if I could find it.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
SnakeyeZ said:
I have a very hard time finding cypress mulch in Canadian Home Depots, Ronas or other garden centres. I would use it if I could find it.

Hey Rich I saw some on sale at Canadian Tire( a few weeks back) and should have picked it up as yesterday went back and none anywhere to be seen. I guess they did carry it a while ago. It was about $5.49 in the sale. I may be out of luck now all Winter unless they reorder that kind of thing late Summer which I doubt.
I ended up with coconut mulch blocks from Canadian Tire but they were over $5 per block-which seems a fair bit I thought.
If you do find any-please let me know which store as I may be able to find some closer to me.
Very frustrating here-Winnipeg Reptiles do carry some mulch stuff-some kid of nuisance tree that is shredded in Florida I believe-I know someone that buys it there and uses it all the time.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
I have used it almost exclusively and have even found it on sale as cheap as .75 cents per bag last fall! The only problem I have with it is that it often has bugs in it. Doesn't bother me...but the fiance doesn't like the bugs flying and crawling all over the enclosure...

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
jeffbens0n said:
I have used it almost exclusively and have even found it on sale as cheap as .75 cents per bag last fall! The only problem I have with it is that it often has bugs in it. Doesn't bother me...but the fiance doesn't like the bugs flying and crawling all over the enclosure...

Wonder if there is a way to screen the bugs out? I'm in the same boat you are Jeff. One bug & I'm in BIGGGG TROUBLE!

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
AnthonyC said:
Wonder if there is a way to screen the bugs out? I'm in the same boat you are Jeff. One bug & I'm in BIGGGG TROUBLE!

You could bake the mulch before using it, that would kill anything living in it. The problem is that would take me forever with the amount I need to use in my enclosures.

100mph tortoise

5 Year Member
Central iowa
AnthonyC said:
jeffbens0n said:

Ive heard if you can freeze the mulch before using it it kills the bugs . It works for me

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
You can also try putting the bags of mulch into large black bags and sitting them in the sun to cook and keep the black bags sealed until you use the mulch, This should kill anything that's in there. Len

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Tortoise said:
SnakeyeZ said:

Hey Rich I saw some on sale at Canadian Tire( a few weeks back) and should have picked it up as yesterday went back and none anywhere to be seen. I guess they did carry it a while ago. It was about $5.49 in the sale. I may be out of luck now all Winter unless they reorder that kind of thing late Summer which I doubt.
I ended up with coconut mulch blocks from Canadian Tire but they were over $5 per block-which seems a fair bit I thought.
If you do find any-please let me know which store as I may be able to find some closer to me.
Very frustrating here-Winnipeg Reptiles do carry some mulch stuff-some kid of nuisance tree that is shredded in Florida I believe-I know someone that buys it there and uses it all the time.

Hmm I'll take a look. I did get a huge block of coco-fibre for $7 at Home Depot though.

Status
Not open for further replies.