Dad and I finished the Indoor Enclosure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokenica

5 Year Member
Dad and Home.jpgInside.jpgOtis 1.jpgHome.jpgOtis 2.jpgMe and Dad.jpg

It's done! Dad and I finished the indoor enclosure today! It measures about 38 inches long and 2 feet wide and has two levels. Pictures are attached. I am the one kissing him on the cheek!

I put Otis, a Russian, who I might be keeping, in there to show his size with the enclosure once I got it home today. Otis measures about 5 inches long and about 5 inches wide. He navigated the ramp once he started down and realized he was committed. Then, he turned around and went right back up again. I think he thinks it's a playground! Anyways, if I get to keep Otis (he belongs to a teacher I work with, but he needs a better environment than the tank he has), he will live here. Otherwise, I will get a Cherry or a Dalmations or a Russian. (I haven't made my mind up yet)! I can't wait to add substrate. The enclosure dwarfs the log hide, too.

Dad enjoyed the project so much that he is willing to build these to suit your tortoise needs. We talked about it today when we were done, and the only things I would change so far for ME is to make it about a foot or two longer, a tad wider and lower the ramp a bit. I decided I wanted to add a plant ledge last night....he added it for me in a flash!

This is a great place to raise little ones inside and for a winter vacation home. I do plan on building an outdoor area once I know who my tortoise will be!

It was built from pine and walnut....if you are interested, PM me and I can hook you up with my dad. He is sooooo talented, isn't he? We live in Georgia.

I will post more pictures once I have a permanent resident in there!

Lynette

Does anyone have any thoughts about the enclosure? Feeling sad over here......

Last edited by a moderator:

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
I love it!! You guys did a great job!! I love the pictures too! :):) Dont feel sad anymore! I replied! :) :) :)

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I think everyone is just speechless. :)

You'll soon find out that the best part of building enclosures is that as soon as you think you're done and have the animals moved in, you're finding ways to change and improve it. :p

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I think your enclosure is great, and I think it's wonderful how you and your Dad work together. You seem to be so close, and it reminds me of me and my Dad. I miss him so much, and just seeing you together in that picture made me smile.

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
very nice!!! I almost had a heart attack because the picture was sideways and it looked like Otis was falling face first, but then I realized it was flipped to the side :D Silly me. Very cool enclosure, hope you get to either keep Otis or purchase a new little friend. best of luck.

thea lester

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
It is truly Amazing! My dad helped me a lot over the years with various turtle enclosures and it is so touching to see you two together. What a truly talented man!
I'm curious what you sealed the wood with? I used thompsons water seal on a wooden enclosure I made a few years ago, and it's not workin so well.
The upstairs railing is hilariously elegant! I hope you get to keep the Russian. He'd be a darn lucky tortoise.
If you need any help constructing your outdoor enclosure, you'll get plenty of help here on the forum. I just completed a big ol turtle home in May. Now I'm raccoon proofing it, just in case :(
Take care!
Thea

liamtuffin

5 Year Member
Bedfordshire
That's like royal palace enclosure. Truly amazing really great job I know my tort yuna would love it.

lokenica

5 Year Member
Awwww..you guys are sweet. Dad was proud. We enjoyed working together and I sort of became less afraid of his saws. We sealed it with Minwax water based poly. Multiple sprayed coats. Front window is plexiglass. I was wondering what I might put on bottom under substrate? Any ideas? Thx.

jharri18

5 Year Member
I enjoyed building the enclosure with my daughter Lokenica.

lokenica

5 Year Member
Yes, the pole is for hanging lights.....dad gets credit for that one.....thanks!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Nice your dad is a good carpenter .

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
jharri18 said:
I enjoyed building the enclosure with my daughter Lokenica.

It's nice seeing a father/daughter combination here on the Forum! Welcome, dad.

zman7590

5 Year Member
Good job! Family fun

Sent from my SGH-T769 using TortForum mobile app

Sterling Thunder

5 Year Member
Ashburn, VA
That is really cool. My father taught me the foundation of wood working and it has served me well for all of my life. I am handing it down to my sons and daughters now and know how my dad must have felt. Nice job on the awesome habitat!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
lokenica said:
Awwww..you guys are sweet. Dad was proud. We enjoyed working together and I sort of became less afraid of his saws. We sealed it with Minwax water based poly. Multiple sprayed coats. Front window is plexiglass. I was wondering what I might put on bottom under substrate? Any ideas? Thx.

That woodwork is gorgeous. As far as protecting the bottom of the wood, what about a liner like pond liner or shower pan liner, folded up the sides. Hate to cover that wood, but protecting it is important!
You could also line it with vinyl tiles, but I hate to see something glued to it.
Another option is fiberglass epoxy resin. Mix and pour it over the bottom, and let it air out until the odor is gone.

Wonderful pictures!

Nikolai13

5 Year Member
Ohio
HOLY COW!!! Thats a five star enclosure right there, i love it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.