Daily diet feed on romaine lettuce and bokchoy bad ??

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
I would not worry about trying to track North American foods down in Chennai; surely they are expensive and not easily available?

The food lists here are designed for the U.K. and North America and don't speak at all to foods native to other continents.There are plenty of plants grown in India that are actually better for tortoises than what we can get in North America.

Take a look at this thread; all the way through: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/s...land-malay-indo-etc-diet.165957/#post-1605308. I get a ton of these plants at the farmers market by my house—there are lots of Indians where I live. If you aren't in a city center hopefully you can track some of these down. I am trying to remember what little I know of Chennai but I think it is dry tropical? I'll be interested to learn what is grown there.

Gongura is supposed to be a native plant for star tortoises but they are just another hibiscus; if you've already got one no need to find another. Lady finger leaves are another excellent food if they are available.

If you can get at some of these some/most of the year I wouldn't worry much about NutraZu/Mazuri. It's designed to supplement less varied diets and those that are low in fiber.

Location (City and/or State)
Chennai
I would not worry about trying to track North American foods down in Chennai; surely they are expensive and not easily available?

The food lists here are designed for the U.K. and North America and don't speak at all to foods native to other continents.There are plenty of plants grown in India that are actually better for tortoises than what we can get in North America.

Take a look at this thread; all the way through: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/s...land-malay-indo-etc-diet.165957/#post-1605308. I get a ton of these plants at the farmers market by my house—there are lots of Indians where I live. If you aren't in a city center hopefully you can track some of these down. I am trying to remember what little I know of Chennai but I think it is dry tropical? I'll be interested to learn what is grown there.

Gongura is supposed to be a native plant for star tortoises but they are just another hibiscus; if you've already got one no need to find another. Lady finger leaves are another excellent food if they are available.

If you can get at some of these some/most of the year I wouldn't worry much about NutraZu/Mazuri. It's designed to supplement less varied diets and those that are low in fiber.
Appreciate your help on these plants suggestions. Do you own star tortoises too?