Daily soaks instead of water bowls?

Geng

5 Year Member
I've heard that a water bowl can't be missed in a tortoise enclosure.

My Russian tortoise of 3 years (?) has a water bowl in his enclosure. but he never makes use of it. The water has either evaported or my tort has kicked over the bowl or kicked dirt in the water. Instead I daily soak him for +30 min, and during soaks he does drink.

So my question: can I ditch the water bowl and give her daily soaks instead?

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Youngstown, Ohio
No, they need access to water 24/7 . If you upload some pictures of his enclosure and tort, we can help you a bit more. The water bowl should be sank into the substrate so he can walk in and out without trouble.

Geng

5 Year Member
No, they need access to water 24/7 . If you upload some pictures of his enclosure and tort, we can help you a bit more. The water bowl should be sank into the substrate so he can walk in and out without trouble.
Screenshot_2018-01-22-16-00-27.png

Bottom right corner is the water bowl (with dirt in it);

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If a tortoise isn't using its water bowl, it is because it doesn't like it or feel comfortable with it. The type you are using has sides that are relatively tall and steep for a small animal living in a rigid shell. This makes it awkward and difficult, and also a little risky, for the tortoise to try to use it. Rather than risk tipping, a tortoise's instincts tell it to wait for a rain where puddles will form. If you switch to a 6-8" terra cotta saucer and sink it into the substrate, your tortoise will most likely start using it more.

Water bowl placement has a lot to do with how much dirt gets tracked and pushed into the bowl. Tortoises frequently walk around the perimeter of their enclosures and corner are a high traffic area. Best to put the water bowl more in the middle and away from the perimeter. This will reduce the amount and frequency of stuff getting pushed, dragged and tracked into the water bowl.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Another thing to note, Russian tortoises are not big water dish users. I guess you're going to get two different views here, as I think it's ok to ditch the water dish, as long as you continue to soak him.