Daisy’s Habitat

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
We live in South Louisiana and humidity is higher than that, we will check weather every day and adjust location accordingly... if there is such a thing as too much humidity, ugh then I have a problem
If temps are warm, then high humidity is good and it simulates what they hatch into in the hot monsoon season in the wild. However, babies do not do well outside full time regardless of climate. They do better in a proper closed chamber indoors.

Do you know what size your tortoise is? Many sellers say six months when its really more like one or two. The age doesn't tell us anything because at six months they can be 30 grams or 500 grams, depending on many factors. That tub would be way too small for one of my tortoises at six months old, but it will be okay for sunning a 2 inch hatchling for a little while. Also be very careful of the heat. That flat shade rock will get very hot in the LA sun and it will radiate a lot of heat into the tub. Try to move the tub around so that it is half shaded by trees or a building. Put it in a place where as the sun moves the whole enclosure will end up in the shade, vs. all sun. Better to have too much shade on a hot day than cook in the sun. Be very carful with this. You will eventually forget the tortoise is out there, so be sure to place the sunning tub in the correct location for shade movement.

I would not use the moss. All of mine try to eat it, and it can cause impactions. You shouldn't need it.

About your plants: They look very nice, but nurseries grow them to look nice and be bug free. They don't intend for you or your animals to eat the plants. If the plants have bugs, or evidence of bugs dining on them, people won't buy them. And you and I both know you have some serious bugs in Louisiana! The nurseries grow these plants in soil that is laced with toxic pesticides. The plants take in the pesticides through their roots and incorporate them into their tissues. This makes the plants toxic to bugs and keeps them looking pretty for market. Even if you remove all the soil and re-pot, these toxins remain for up to a year in the plants tissues.

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
Supposedly my Daisy hasn’t been shipped because of the weather in New Jersey! IM CALLING BS ... the weather is beautiful there. Husband is calling them in a few minutes and telling them either we get her by Saturday morning or want a refund, I’m so done

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Supposedly my Daisy hasn’t been shipped because of the weather in New Jersey! IM CALLING BS ... the weather is beautiful there. Husband is calling them in a few minutes and telling them either we get her by Saturday morning or want a refund, I’m so done

You’re buying from tortoise town, right? This sounds like them. I would cancel for a refund regardless.

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
Do you the garlic (grass) is killing the geranium and Daisy? LOL

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
You’re buying from tortoise town, right? This sounds like them. I would cancel for a refund regardless.

Sigh... it’s going to voicemail, they really do NOT want to listen to a message from this Cajun girl ... that has been working a ton of overtime! I’m
Not in the best of moods!

Melis

Maryland
Welcome! It's always recommended to have young torts in enclosed chambers. Sulcata babies need high humidity which you won't be able to achieve in that container. How big is it?
Can't speak on that company but I live in Maryland and can vouch that md and pa did get a ton of snow yesterday.

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
Well I am going to remove it all and start over. Getting a 2 person high walled mud bath tub from my sister I’m planting the plants in my flower beds in the front. Im cleaning out the existing tub out with white vinegar.. I have a bunch of seeds germinating ...I’ll use the existing container until I can get the tub from my sister... husband is off tomorrow so he is reading and will build a higher wood cover to get temps and humidity right. He has his pilots license and a room that stays warm with his flight simulator and Oculus Rift virtual reality thing lol ... good place to start for now, we keep our house cold at night or we can’t sleep but that room stays about 80 to 85 and that’s with door open and fan on, kevin is very scientific so he will get it perfect the more he reads... he will have all day tomorrow to prep.. hopefully Daisy will be here Tuesday! Thanks so much for all the wisdom!!!!

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
Well I am going to remove it all and start over. Getting a 2 person high walled mud bath tub from my sister I’m planting the plants in my flower beds in the front. Im cleaning out the existing tub out with white vinegar.. I have a bunch of seeds germinating ...I’ll use the existing container until I can get the tub from my sister... husband is off tomorrow so he is reading and will build a higher wood cover to get temps and humidity right. He has his pilots license and a room that stays warm with his flight simulator and Oculus Rift virtual reality thing lol ... good place to start for now, we keep our house cold at night or we can’t sleep but that room stays about 80 to 85 and that’s with door open and fan on, Kevin is very scientific so he will get it perfect the more he reads... he will have all day tomorrow to prep.. hopefully Daisy will be here Tuesday! Thanks so much for all the wisdom!!!!

My sister lives 2 hours away so it will be next weekend before I can get the mud tub.

Last edited: